Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

a modification question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by the beginner, Jul 4, 2005.

1. the beginner

the beginner

Feb 18, 2005
    hi guys, i'm thinking on modifying my bass, it's a mexican P bass, i was thinking of changing the pickups to active but im not sure if that'll help me for the sound i want. also i saw these pre-amps, i'm not sure what they do but if that will help please let me know.

the sound i'm looking for is a low sound, i know that's what a P bass is good for, but i also want it to be punchy at the same time, i want it to be "powerful" u might say. and my bass isn't that punchy. i like flea's sound, now i know a mexican P bass is no modulus but if i can get close help me out. i also like the old salsa sound (the electric not the upright) i don't like when it sounds like the string, u know that crunchy sound. i even use nilon wound strings to minimize it, i prefer the lows not the treble, but some treble is needed of course. i have a behringer head with a carvin 2 x 10 (i'm not sure if u needed that info but just to be sure)

thanx guys, this is much appreciated

2. get a di marzio p

3. the beginner

the beginner

Feb 18, 2005
    hey, my thread was moved to pickups but actually i'm looking for anything from EQ's to pickups to help find the sound discribed abouve. but now that i'm here i have a question, wich would be better for the sound i described? di marzio? seymore duncan, emg (i really think the active pickups give the punch i'm looking for but im not sure, thats why i ask) bartolini?
    ur resonse is much appreciated

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    So you're looking for a warmer sound? More apparent lows?

5. the beginner

the beginner

Feb 18, 2005
    yes, but i want it to have power too, punch, that even if it's the low E or D it's clear und it hits u hard

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Sounds like EMG's will do what you want. As much as I love Dimarzio's, which I replaced EMG's with, the active EMG pickup provides the classic P-bass sound with added lows. You will need to do a little routing under the pickguard for battery placement though.

7. the beginner

the beginner

Feb 18, 2005
    nice, thanx for the tips, i saw these aguilar pre amps too, i was meaning to ask if this would also help? or if there's a pickup/pre amp combination that would be favorable for the sound i described.

sorry i'm such a bother, i just want to know as much as i can before spending the cash. i'm sure u understand hehe, thanx guys, again ur response is appreciated

8. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Which Behringer head do you have? A 2x10 isn't the best choice for the kind of sound you're going after. I'm not sure a pickup/pre change will overcome the sonic imprint/limitations of your amp setup.

9. the beginner

the beginner

Feb 18, 2005
    the head is a ultrabass ax3000, well i got kinda the sound i want, but not the punch desired. i mean the punch is part of the sound so i don't actually have the sound i want, i would say that is the part that's missing.

what kinda setup would u recomend? 4x10? 1 15?
    is there anything a pickup change can do? what about any external eq? what do u suggest?

and thank you (everyone)