A more accurate description of Justin Chancellor's live rig

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by ndrly, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Seems like a lot of people are complaining that the July 2007 issue of Bass Player magazine is wrong about a lot of things about Justin Chancellor's live setup. We should make a new editorial with a more accurate description of his live setup.

I'll get the ball rolling with some corrections to his setup...

-He does not use the XLR output of his Wal bass live. Granted, he uses it in the studio. Live, he uses three GK amps, one clean, one dirty, and one to the PA. I have no idea how he splits his signal between THREE amplifiers.

-He does not use a splitter box to run two amps at once. The dirty channel is created by connecting a Pro Co RAT and BOSS GEB-7 to the dry out of his bass whammy.

-His effects chain is Guyatone VTX tremolo -> Digitech Bass Whammy -> SansAmp GT2 -> BOSS CE-5 -> BOSS BF-2 -> BOSS DD-3 -> Guyatone BR-2 -> Coloursound Tone Bender -> Foxx Fuzz/Wah -> GK 2001RB -> Mesa 8x10.

That's all I can think of for the moment. If you have any corrections (to the BP article, or to MY corrections), please add them.

And if you've made a more accurate diagram of Justin's live setup, please don't hesitate to add it here. I'd like to see it, and I reckon so would some other TB'ers.

2. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    -His live rig is split using a Radial JD-7...Channel 1 is a direct out to a Demeter VTBP-201s (this is the clean to the FOH).

-The dry out of the Whammy is just that...DRY! This goes to the Mesa 8x10.

-His effects chain is TU-2->VT-X Trem->Whammy->(dry) GK 2001RB W/8X10; (wet)->GT-2->CE-5->BF-3->DD-3->BR2->Colorsound Tonebender->Foxx Fuzz/Wah->Turbo Rat+GEB-7(always on)...there is a lot of gain stacking going on in that effects chain.

I'm pretty positive that the actual amp splitting is courtesy ofthe JD-7. Channel 1 is an ISO out (Demeter) and Channels 5 and 6 are Jensen Transformer Isolated with individual effects loops...this is likely the piece of gear doing all of the spltting.

3. OK...getting confused now.

Can you draw up a diagram?

4. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I love the complexity of his rig, far more interesting than watching people try to guess what Tim Commerford's amp is set up like!

5. brainhii

brainhii

Mar 25, 2007
    i couldn't find justin on guitargeek :( those guys are too lazy to post up some decent rigs.....

6. i saw them this summer and had fairly close seats. He had the mesa 810 and two gk 410 cabs. That all I can contribute :)

7. Kraken

Kraken

Jun 19, 2001
    Aylesbury, England
    Sorry folks nothing to add, but I've been trying to work out His Chorus and Flanger settings for a while now, and figure they may come up in this thread!

Again Sorry

Looks like the Wikipedia Article has some interesting conclusions about his gear though

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justin_Chancellor

8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Found this online.

4kcjdyg.jpg

Then I saw the below quote. But the above quote was supposedly described by himself in an interview with a guitar mag.

9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Below is from the Bass Player article.

10. Phantopeth

Phantopeth

Jan 10, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Justin's setup is so complicated, this thread almost crashed my computer. It was running fine until I openned this thread!

I just want his Wal :D

11. Ayliffe

Ayliffe

May 8, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Does anyone know of any pedals that sound similar to the Turbo RAT? I can't get one anywhere close to where i'm at, but was wondering if there are any alternatives from companies i can buy from?

12. The digitech bass driver has a mode that is supposed to simulate the turbo rat. i've never heard them side by side, so i don't know how well it does....:bag:

13. Bassmingo

Bassmingo

Nov 6, 2008
    Ireland
    This picture should help matters somewhat...

Attached Files:

14. RHCP250

RHCP250

Nov 24, 2008
    Saw them this summer too, had the Mesa 810 and a Mesa 412, fun concert!

15. wolf7883

wolf7883

Jul 22, 2009
    Naples FL

This seems to be new info for any JC fans..I've never seen the Red witch board or a few of the other pedals..interesting for those who care lol

16. Samitch04

Samitch04

Aug 12, 2007
    Tennessee
    i made this to look at his settings..
    Justin.gif

17. Chowowbus

Chowowbus

Mar 24, 2009
    Olympia WA
    Great job samitch..you should post this on the tool tone sticky thread i effects if you have not already!
    :bassist:

18. RBetoGT

RBetoGT

Jun 12, 2011
    wow! nice pics! how did you find them?

:D

19. So much for not scooping your mids... but I had a feeling he did :p That picture oughtta help people who just have to have is exact tone. I know I wouldn't mind.

20. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    The EQ pedal is only for his dirty rig.

Neither of the 2001's in that rack are really scooped...and I'd bet that his Demeter DI isn't either. His tone is rather mid heavy...

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021