1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A more efficient way to practice scales?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by greekorican, Apr 12, 2009.

1. greekorican

greekorican

Mar 12, 2009
    When I practice scales, I play each position of a major scale, starting with quarter notes, then quarter note triplets, eight notes, eight note triplets, and then 16th notes. I do a couple of coils and play through the positions in thirds. Then I play through the relevant minor pentatonic the same way. Each day I practice the next key in the cycle. On top of this I do some ear training, I practice counting rhythyms from a snare drum book, and I do some exercises from Bass Fitness. While I have definitely improved a ton from doing this, it takes up alot of time. Sometimes I am burnt out afterwards and I don't even feeling like playing anymore.

I need to way to condense all of this somehow. I don't really want to stop doing any of this because it is definitely useful, but it gets a bit frustrating at times, which makes me just want to put my bass away when I'm done instead of learning songs or just playing.

How should I condense all this material to make it more manageable? Any suggestions?

2. jrklmx(Andrew)

jrklmx(Andrew)

Mar 31, 2009
    You could try playing broken chords rather than scales
    like am7 D7 playing in 3/4 a c e g e c a d f# c f# d
    Have you ever tried doing a major scale on the same string? Then try minor/ harmonic minor etc.

Learn songs like "So What"
    That should help you keep time and avoid boredom

3. Asher S

Asher S

Jan 31, 2008
    MA
    There's lots you can do to keep it interesting: Try some arpeggio patterns, practice your scales over some cool chord progressions (eg II-V-I), round out your practice routine with some ear training/sight reading/improvisation etc.

4. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Try using the ascending/descending thirds thing like Jaco shows in his DCI video with Jerry Jemmott. You play the I chord ascending, the ii descending, iii ascending, IV descending, V ascending, vi descending, vii ascending, I descending, ii ascending, iii descending, IV ascending, V descending, vi ascending, viii descending, I ascending.

SING the scale, arpeggio, etc. as you play them. Play them over the entire neck. Play them over as much of two octaves as you can on one string.

jte