A motorcycle ride through a ghost town named Chernobyl

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by LoJoe, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I could have sworn I posted this a week or so ago when I first saw it. Maybe I meant to but never got around to it....

so sad, nuclear fallout is terrible.
  2. Interesting, though eerily haunting.
  3. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    hey, wr, what is that song in your sig?

on a related note, that ride would be awesome. Kinda creepy, but awesome. Just ride on for miles with nothing to stop you.
  4. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    That is intense, thanks for sharing.

I didn't really realize the scope of the catastrophy, after reading that it puts it into perspective.
  5. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    It really is a stark reminder aobut chernobyl. We have to be careful what we do with what's been entrusted to us. We get too excited about something, and it gets away from us. It's really strange to think of what humans build. Wehave machines that can do so much more than us. It's quite strange, really.
  6. It's strange, last night on like History International or something, they had a documentary on Chernobyl. I remember that was a really scary thing, and it's crazy to think we were that close to the China Syndrome. On the other hand, I also remember 3 Mile Island too.

Scary stuff.

Just remember,

"you can't put too much water in a nuclear reactor."
  7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

8. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    That is probably one the saddest things I have ever seen.

I never realized the scope of Chernobyl.
  9. That is simply amazing. :( Everyone should see this...
  10. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    I'm reading it now but I'm not entierly sure if it's someones journal or if its some kind of purpose built properganda for an anti nuclear type movement..can anyone confirm this?
  11. Does it matter?
  12. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    That's really amazing. I'd like to go ride through, too.
  13. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    That's pretty ridiculous, as if this incident needed any propaganda(!).
    I can still remember the impact it had on Germany, even though it happened thousands of miles away from here. (1000s of tons of radioactive milk were decontaminated in a facility near my hometown back then). For years after it was recommended not to eat mushrooms and fruits collected in the forest, etc.

The recent reports of the state of the Russian nuclear fleet are worrysome enough, even without the issue of nuclear power.
  14. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Sounds like I'd have a blast there. "The wife" and I are riding to Florida in June -- I hope it's like a ghost town.

:D :D :D

While reading her accounts, I had images of 28 Days Later in my head. Weird?
  15. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    I didn't say propaganda for the chenobyl* events, I stated propoganda for 'nuclear activists'.

Yes it does matter what the source is - I'll take it a lot more seriously (can't think of a better term right now) if its someones representations of their trip through the desolate wasteland than I would if it's just a 25 page story conjoured up by a bunch of activists.

*sorry if thats spelled wrong - then again it's a Russian word so I'm translating it into English text :spit: (note to all: the smileys have moved to the right hand side of the posting box..)
  16. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
  17. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    But the wasteland is there, and considering the way the Russian governments often handles disasters (see Kursk incident) the Forbidden Zone is probaly smaller than it should be
  18. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    If it were by some group, I think it would have a top-level domain, not some angelfire url.