A multiplitude of questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dream Works, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Dream Works

Dream Works

Dec 5, 2003
    Lately I realized that my Peavey Mark III is lacking volume and have decided I better get a better amp.
    I've looked around extensively, and I have my eyes set upon Carvin.
    Has anyone tried their amps? I'm considering the R600, R1000 or the B1500. After reading reviews, I've concluded that people hate the tone of the R series because of the mid sweeps, and probably the overkill of tonal shaping. I'm no stranger to mid sweeps and I know very well that if used improperly, mid sweeps can make your tone horrible. I also know that mid sweeps, if used properly, can make your tone unbelievedly beatiful. I've also read that the B1500 has a "nice tone". Now, that comment can be helpful, had it told me how the tone was nice. Which amp is more versatile, the R series amps or the B series? Which amps can get over a drummer? All the amps have atleast 500 watts into 8 ohms, and I've been told that 400 watts is sufficient to overcome a drummer. However, I heard that the R series amps have a very weak volume. Also, R1000 and B1500 put out 700 watts at 8 ohms, does it constantly put out 700w or does it only put out that much power if you crank the amp? (My 8 ohm Madison 15" cab is rated at 500w RMS (1000w program) and I'm wondering if the R1000 and B1500 will damage my cab)
    I'm guessing my budget would be around 500 CND (I can probably spend more, but I'm considering buying another bass too, maybe a groove tool) and I'm probably going to use ebay. Are there any other amps similar to the ones mentioned that I should consider?
  2. Maybe instead of upgrading the amp, your first thought might be to upgrade your cab....if nothing else, try adding a 2x10 or 2x12 or even another 15--perhaps something a step above a Madison....
  3. Dream Works

Dream Works

Dec 5, 2003
    They peavey amp only puts out 300 watts at 4 ohms so getting another cab wouldn't really do justice.
  4. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    I've got no experiance with those carvin heads, however if you can, PM Richard Lindsey, he has a b1500 maybe he can help ya out.

But if I were to go with either of the heads you listed I would get the b1500.

The 700 watts @ 8ohms is how much power it puts out continiously, at least thats what I assume. As long as you do not turn that amp up to 10 your speaker should be fine, just be resonable with your volume and EQ.
  5. "Only" 300 watts into 4 ohms? :D

That's still a pretty good amount of oomph, put that into 2 good cabs and it'll hold up against all but the loudest bands.

Having two speakers does offer more volume than a single speaker, also....
  6. Dream Works

Dream Works

Dec 5, 2003
    How about the versatility of R series vs. the B series?
    Volume of the R series? x.x;;;
  7. +1 for the cab if you want volume you want a good wall of sound... like two 4x10 or a4x10 and 1x15 or an 8x10... if seen plenty of bassists play shows with an under 400w through a 8x10 and they could be heard just fine...