1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A music store rep told me.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by michael, Aug 7, 2012.

1. michael

michael

Mar 10, 2000
    A music store rep told me the Squier Classic Vibe series is going to become a Fender line next year. While it's absolutely rumor, there also seems to be some plausibility to it, given the Squier/Fender history.

Without this turning into a "let's ridicule the gullible/let's slap this guy around a bit" thread, has anyone heard or know of this?

2. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    Disregarding your last sentence, I could tell from the thread list that this was BS because: "A music store rep told me....."

There's no plausibility to it just because they're the same company! The classic vibe line is cheaper than anything else Fender offers. That's what Squier is there for. Yes, Fender has been moving lower-end than MIM (at least in price, if not quality) with the Modern Player series, but there's no reason for them to raise the price of the CVs. Trust me, your average music store rep knows less about the goings on inside Fender boardrooms than your mom does. If it were happening, you'd have already seen someone whining about it here, and another thread praising the decision

3. any context for when or why he said this?

4. MetroBass

MetroBass

Mar 26, 2008
    South of LA
    Hatred obscures all distinctions.
    Doesn't this belong in Bass Humor. You know what they say about a pig with lipstick.......

5. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
  6. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    A few years back a dealer I know told me his Fender rep said Fender was bringing all the lower (Squier) likes and Mid lines (MIM) up to compete with overseas companies and the economy in general. He said the lines coming out which turned out to be VM, CV, Squiers and MIM lines like Classic and RW would be right up there and close to MIA/MIJ in quality but much lower in cost.

To this day he was pretty much dead on right with his info and the new lines by MIM and Squier are still looking good.

7. A music store rep told me that Fender is going to bring out the Rivoli again!

8. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Cary, Il
    What will they call it, the "Fender Squier Classic Vibe Series by Fender?" Or perhaps, the "Squier by Fender Classic Vibe Series by Fender?" Or maybe, the "Fender Classic Vibe Series for Squier by Fender?"

9. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    As long as they are cool, well made and priced right? Who cares.

10. yes: they will change the company name from Fender into Epiphone first...

:D (You know you gotta be real careful, here, uh?) ;)

1967-Epiphone-Revoli-Bass-Framed.

11. patplaysbass

patplaysbass Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 7, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Soon-to-be-ex Musician's Friend/Guitar Center Employee
    "Fender Squire By Fender But For Realsies It's A Fender Classic Vibe Series... by Fender"

12. Maybe next year, the music store rep intends to change all the Squier CV labels to Fender, and mark them up $1000. lol

13. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    I suspect that the rumor is true. In fact, I will be so bold as to predict that when Asian made Classic Vibe level product appears on these shores under the Fender brand name they will be know as the Modern Player series....

Ken ;)

14. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    This.

15. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    I'd be willing to bet they introduce a new series that we'll ALL already be familiar with.

16. I said this at least a year ago and everybody laughed and called me a troll. I got the word from four guys in GC Hollywierd wearing $500 shoes and Armani and Savile Row.

It's coming around. Fender cannot afford to keep highly paid real luthiers on payroll with the economy the way it is and they are moving them down to lower-priced lines of guitars and basses.

The CS stuff isn't selling - not well enough to keep the place going - so it's a natural situation where the company in it's need to survive has to make changes that will keep hot-n-cold running secretaries in the upper offices.

It's not just Fender though - it's the whole market that's dying.

There's too many IFs in the works right now.
    • IF the economy comes back
    • IF Spain and Italy don't tip the whole world into financial ruin
    • IF China doesn't 'call' the debt
    • IF we just get a good president/dictator/leader next time
    • IF I can find a paying gig
    • IF I can feed my kids and spouse
    • IF I don't get foreclosed and have to live in my car
    • IF I don't get a huge medical bill
    • IF I can make it to next year

And don't forget that if one is married with kids, the expenses and responsibility go up exponentially. So does the risk. So does the reality.

17. soulman969

soulman969 SUSPENDED

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    OK no ridicule, but I know for a fact they're not. And I have that on much higher authority than a music store rep whose motive may just be to imply that the prices will then go up along with resale value, "so buy now while they're still cheap".

They introduced the Modern Player Series to fit the niche for a "mid price point collection" under the Fender brand. Squiers are and will remain their own very successful product line. Ya' don't screw with success.

Haven't we heard this rumor at least a dozen times or more?

18. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass Banned Commercial User

Jun 3, 2009
    Between Muscle Shoals and Nashville
    Bassgearu, Music Industry Consulting and Sales. Tech 21, NBE Corp, Sonosphere.
    It is not far off, in a way, because there is no introductory level "Fender" product. The Classic Vibe series was very good quality and well received. And, as we have seen in other threads here, even if a bass is made by Fender in the same plant, by the same people, but its supposed to be a Squier, people crap over the price. Squier to most means low end, low cost, not greatest quality, no matter how good the product really is.

So Fender takes the best of the Squiers and now will label them Fender. That alone will drive sale of many of them, and I bet they would sell for about $100 more then the ones with a Squier label, even if they are identical.

Truth is, Fender is teetering financially, and they really needed the IPO in order to stay afloat. With the IPO dead, they are left to find any way to raise cash flow. So, this idea is actually plausible.

We will see. I wouldn't be surprised if Fender completely eliminates the Squier Division and brand altogether. It would save $$$, reduce inventory, and also put them back as Fender the brand.

While Gibson, on the other hand, has sort of figured out this way before Fender. They have stopped issuing everything in the Gibson line with an Epi copy, and they have of late re-issued Epiphone specific, original models again on Epi. The Jack Casady bass is the Rivoli. and they have a new retro guitar (melody maker?) that was never a Gibson. Yes, Epi is still the budget Gibson brand, but they have a few products that are different and distinct. Honestly, Squier really doesn't have any other then the Jag bass.

19. bumperbass

bumperbass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2012
    What TRichardsbass said!
    Yes, Epiphone is unique (except for the copies of the LP, the SG, the 335-ish's, EB-3, etc). The thing is, Fender would be better off without making so many 'levels' of instruments. MIA, MIM, Squier CV (pretty darn close to a real Fender) and all the various Squier VM's.
    IMO, there shouldn't be as many Precision basses or Jazz basses. Look what it's done......completely polarizes the community. This thread and fifty others are proof of this. Nobody is sure about what to buy...how to balance what they feel they can get away with and still get the bass that's right for them.
    Now, I don't know why I even came to this thread. There are so many variables. I figure most serious (making money playing) bass players would buy a REAL MIA Precision if that's what they wanted and was the only P bass. Now, it's "Gee, the Squier Precision looks and sounds pretty good. Think I'll start a thread on Talkbass to get some opinions". <<More often than not, the guy (or girl) wants to hear "Hey, my Squier is a great instrument! The MIA isn't worth the difference in price".
    If someone can't afford a REAL Precision (MIA) let them buy an SX or whatever clone. They'll probably be back for the real thing if they're actually playing for money.
    I play a MIM Precision, but someday I'll be buying a MIA, I just know it. I'm not fooling myself. For right now, though, my 2000 MIM is more than good enough with a setup from me and a really good pickup in it. I'm saving for my MIA. If the MIM was not available or being made, then I'd have financed a MIA to get a Precision, or I'd have bought used.

20. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    What are you talking about?