Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A Music123 & Aguilar tale...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Jul 12, 2005.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Riddle: What is slim and black and has 3 holes at one end, but none at the other?

Answer: The plug I just got from my "new" Aguilar AG 500-112C combo.

I just ordered this from Music123, and it was "not factory sealed", but guaranteed PERFECT condition. Great, if I can save $300. I tear open the box, set up the amp and take out the cord, and see the image below. So I call Music123 and they gladly order me a new plug for free. In the meantime I can use the one off my SWR.

Now, with that somewhat funny happening aside, I plug in and start to play. I'm hearing very annoying vibrations and I'm thinking "eh, it's probably just the basement making sympathetic noise again". Bzzt, wrong. I realize it's coming from the head, so I take the head out of the combo and just move it in my hands and I hear BZZZT, BZZZT from inside, which is what is making the buzzing noise (very loudly I must say). Great, I wonder what this could be. As I take out my screw driver to take a look, I discover, STRIKE #3, some of the screws to the cover are rounded out past the point of no return..or should I say, no turn :)

Needless to say, come Thursday or so, this pile of perfect condition is going back on the big brown truck for a refund. I probably am not going to get another. Not because of these problems, but honestly, I bought it to get something different than my SWR because I THOUGHT I didn't like what I was hearing. It turns out I think I actually like my WM 2x10 & 2004 better. The aguilar is nice but 1) The saturation channel IMO is useless. Everything just sounds muddy, dim and lifeless. The regular channel doesn't seem to have even as much volume as my SWR, and mine is 160W vs. Aggies 250W. The tone is warmer, which I wanted, but it just seems really flat, and "far away" sounding. It's not bad, it's just not $1300 good IMO :) I think this is a sign to just stick with what I've got and not be so damn picky.

As I side note, I even think I prefer how my amp "sits" in my area. It's higher, and I can put all my little accessories on the head (wrenches and screw drivers etc..) Even the tuner fits nice and snug under the knobs on the "ledge" the head has.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. I wouldn't necessarily judge the tone of this model by the one you sampled. The one you received is probably not a fair representation of a fully functional unit given the various anomalies.

3. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Those goofballs at music123.....

Yes, I said goofballs

4. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Yea, I was thinking that. If I got another I'd get the single channel model, which new, is $100 more than I paid for this one. Although they do have another NFS one, but I don't want to take that chance of getting a messed up one again.

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yup, I've tried the ag500 and never once thought it sounded muddy, dim, far away or lifeless.

6. I have the AG500 and it's not lifeless or muddy to say the least. And it's so much more "airy" when running at 4 ohms. I think you need to try another one.

7. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Yea I think I will try again. But this time I'm going to order the head and cab seperate just in case.

8. Aguilar/Dave B.

Aguilar/Dave B. Aguilar Amplification Commercial User

Nov 8, 2003
    New York City
    President: Aguilar Amplification
    Hey.....I saw your post about the Aguilar combo. I am trying to find out for sure, but this is what I think. I think that the combo that was sold to you was for european export. The power cords are sometimes shipped with the ends cut off (by us) because of the different plugs and CE regulations. The electrical issues that you described sound exactly like what a 230 unit would do if connected to 120 Volts. We are trying to verify this now with Music 123 and get it dealt with properly. You appear to be the second guy who got this amp, I'd like to grab it before it goes out again!

DB

9. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Dave,

Thanks for responding to this personally. UPS already picked it up and I think they're getting it back around the 19th. The RA# is R216232.

The odd thing is that, I took the head out and like I said, I could hear something rattling around on the inside. So the tone (or lack of) that I described could be because of this possibly being an import?

Oh, and also, I noticed the some of the screws on the top of the head (for taking the cover off) were rounded out quite a bit, so I couldn'tve investigated it further.

I do hope I just got one of these, and the problems that I had sonically were because of it possibly being a euro model. I'd like to get a single channel head and 1x12 seperately and try again (I'd choose this over the combo for weight reasons). It's just a shame that I won't get the same deal I got before if I buy new, but that's how it goes :)