1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A musician LET ME DROWN tonight....

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by agreatheight, May 10, 2006.

1. After reading and posting to the "A musician saved my life tonight...." thread I felt compelled to start a thread to post stories where fellow musicians let others drown, intentionally and cruelly.

Played an opening slot for a signed artist named Sass Jordan in the early 90's. Our drummer's throne broke during our very delayed soundcheck, literally minutes before our start time. The drummer for the headlining band refused to let us use his throne for our 45 minute set, so our drummer played it on stacked milk crates. We even offered to buy their drummer a brand new throne while we played to replace the one we'd be using before they went on stage for their set. Nope, suffer kids...

That drummer was TAYLOR HAWKINS (foo fighters, alanis morrisette). Total asshat!

Whatcha got?

2. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    man what a jerk. I don't have any stories really haven't been gigging enough unfortunatly

3. I don't think that's being a jerk.

It's my stuff. Whoever uses it is up to me, whether you think I'm an asshat or a goat porker or Air Supply fan...

If I know you and have some respect for you I'd probably let you have free run of my gear- however it's MY gear and it is MY choice.

4. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    I once had a bass player ask me to use my bass minutes before going on. When I asked what happened to his, the response was nothing, yours is better. When I declined to lend him the bass, he accused me of trying to upstage him. He was a great bassist but abused his equipment. I wasn't about to let him do the same to mine.

5. Haha, drummer stories!

One of my friends decided to let a fellow drummer borrow his snare drum. No problems at all. Second song in his set, the snare EXPLODES. Oops, guess you need a new skin/snare. Fast forward 2 months later. Friend lets fellow drummer borrow a crash cymbal. Breaks it into 4 pieces. Holy hashmonkeys. Worst part of it all, the #*$@## still won't pay him for the damages he caused.

6. Yeah, my band opened for Yngwie Malmsteen. He directed the stage manager to have us set up on the corner of the stage (stage was quite deep and wide) so we didn't disturb his FOURTEEN Marshall Plexi Fullstacks. The drums were on the one side of the band, the guitarist/singer in the middle, and me on the other. There was no room to move and I couldn't hear anything. Meanwhile he did lines in his tour bus with the rest of his roadcrew. I also noticed he has his own drummer set up off center with no riser, so the attention is always on him I presume. What a tool. Although, I suppose I should be greatful for the opportunity to play with such a well known national act.:rolleyes:

7. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    Wow, I usually can see why someone would say no to lending out their gear, but a drum stool? That seems pretty rediculous to me.

I've refused a bass before to a kid that broke his G string, but his bass was pretty beat up and I knew he was pretty much playing the root all night. I still felt bad not helping him out, but money was tight and I couldn't have fixed the bass had anything gone wrong.

8. How in the world do you break a cymbal in 4 pieces?

9. Breaking the G string isn't as bad as breaking the E or A though. If one string had to break, I'd prefer it to be the G.

10. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    A drum stool does seem pretty ridiculous not to lend out, but I can understand. Once you say, no, I don't loan anything out, it's important to stick by it or else stuff gets broken.

11. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    I've got no problem letting someone use a piece of equipment, especially something made out of steel, like a drummers throne, but I won't lend out anything to someone who demands it.

Played in a pretty rocking bar some years back and a guy wanted to come up and use my girlfriends $1,200 acoustic so he could be cool and he was just flabbergasted when I told him that the answer was no.

He wanted to be cool for the chicks so bad that he pulled out a $50 and said he'd give it to us if he could do 2 songs!

We made a couple hundred off that guy that summer!

Another bad deal was this gal that was washing dishes here for a while comes up one night and says "Hey, hurry up and gimme the guitar, I wanna do some Eagles songs!".

Then shortly after she got over bitching all around the bar about what jerks we were for not letting her get up there she grabs the bass and we actually ended up in a tug of war over it!

Now she was really insulted! She never let it go what a jerk I was for not letting someone I'd never even met before grab our instruments and let her be Madonna for a night.

12. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Ah, the borrowing of gear.
    I confess that no one has ever asked to borrow my bass, but I do keep a spare ultra-cheap cable in my gig bag so that I can lend if necessary and not be too worried about getting it back. Bands in Chicago seem to be pretty on top of things as far as gear goes. The only time anything like this happened was when my guitarrist's amp went down and the band playing after us let us plug in as long as didn't drive it too hard.

I can see being protective of an instruementn but I don't see the point in refusing to let others use hardware items. cable/throne, etc.

13. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    There's two factors identified here - the nature of the request and the respect you have for the requester. I think I'm reasonable enough about this. I'd let more or less anyone use a cheapo cable or whatever, but you'd have to walk on water before borrowing my bass. So I think "Anybody can use anything, I'm not bothered" and "No way is anyboy touching any of my gear, ever" are two extremes and equally silly, as extremes tend to be.

The statement about it being the drummer's choice was true, though. It WAS his choice to be a total asshat on this occasion. :D

14. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    yup me to.

15. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    One of the nice things about playing a 6er, when no one else around here does, is no one ever asks to borrow my bass. Heck, at some large jams I go to, I usually ask if someone wants to give it a try. They always decline. lol... :D

16. FrigginChris

FrigginChris

Feb 6, 2006
    illinois
    you should mail it to me and let me try it out....

i promise to give it a good home.... errr i mean give it right back:bag:

17. zeronyne

zeronyne Recovering Keyboard Player

Nov 24, 2003
    Chicago
    I don't know...I'd have to see what caused the original drum throne to break before lending mine. I'm not saying that he wasn't an asshat, but a drum throne is pretty hard to break to the point of being unusable. Again, we don't know the entire situation, so it's hard to evaluate.

18. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch.

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I'm a pretty easy going guy and usually have no problem letting other people use various things that I have, cables, stands, amp (if I know them) or would rather use my amp as a backline than the piece of junk the other band has, etc. as long as I offer it, or they ask me first. But if someone demands or just plain refuses to ask me to use my gear and starts to use it anyways, I will rip them a new one. If they don't have enough respect for me to ask permission to use something of mine before using it, forget it, they get blacklisted from my gear. Even if it's my beat up old acoustic guitar, they had better ask me before they ever lay a hand on it.

19. I am reposting this part...

just because a few of you seemed to have not read it.

We offered to replace his stool with a brand new one simply for allowing us to borrow his for 45 minutes. That seems more than fair to me. He plainly had no interest in helping us.

So, I stick by what I said - he was an asshat.

20. Yeah I agree he sounded like an asshat. But, judging from the number of asshat experiences I've read about here, it would be difficult to trust anyone's word that they'll get him a brand new stool.

If you had offered him cash on the spot to the value of a brand new stool then fair enough. But some random bunch of guys promising to buy him a brand new stool is not so convincing. If he was being an asshat, don't base that opinion on the offer to buy him a stool.