Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A MUST for SM-900s

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by WAKOJACO, Oct 28, 2000.

1. WAKOJACO

WAKOJACO Guest

Jul 5, 2000
    Binghamton, NY

I'm sure a lot of users already know this, but, if you are playing through a SM-900, be sure that the Effects Blend knob is in the 12 o'clock position. Even if you are not using the effects loop, for some reason the sound is MUCH "fuller" at this position, regardless of the other settings. This seems to hold true at least for the 5 or so SM-900s I've played through. I fear that a lot of salespeople may not be aware of this and some potential buyers are not hearing the amp. as it should sound.

I'm also curious if anyone is using the effects loop for live playing situations. If I use an effects pedal (like bass OD) through the loop, the "wet" signal is very week, and I always go back to putting the pedal between the bass and amp. And you?

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I've seen other people mention this, experimented with my Basic Black combo and it is the same way. The amp has a different sound with the blend at 12 o'clock than it does all the way down or up. I don't know why.

And yes, on mine stomp boxes sound much better throught the input than through the effects loop.

EDIT: Remove me quoting myself:rolleyes:

[Edited by embellisher on 10-30-2000 at 01:03 PM]

3. A friend of mine who also has an SM-900 turned me on to using the Effects Blend knob, even without effects. Since I don't use any effects, I would never have thought to do this. It does give a fuller sound, but IME, setting it at 12 o'clock is way too much. I crack it open just a little.. to about 8 o'clock or so. Anything more than that and my speakers really start moving, a little too much for comfort.

4. It's not just the SM-900, the same things happens for me with my Redhead. I crack mine up to about the 10 o'clock position.

Now leave me alone, I gotta go to work.