1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A Must Have if you play with a keyboard player......

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by funkinbottom, Dec 22, 2018.

1. funkinbottom

funkinbottom Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Northern CA.
    If your keyboard player is like many that are out there, you definitely need this.......

don't play.

2. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    That or a high pass filter :D

funkinbottom and keyboardguy like this.
  3. Firmly duct tapeing the left hand to the waist works well too.;)

bobyoung53 likes this.
  4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    A good keyboardist can fill in the low end without getting in your way. I actually have the opposite issue. Our guitarist uses effects to get different keyboard tones, and we do a number of songs that require keys (Steely Dan, Abbey Road medley). I have to scramble to fill in parts.

Mr_Moo and funkinbottom like this.
  5. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    I'd extend the keyboard note maybe another octave.

Hey, in one band I was in, the keys, kick drum, and guitar were so bassy that I actually stopped playing on one song out of frustration. No one even noticed.

I will no longer play in bands who have no understanding of how to eq stuff. Life is too short.

Mr_Moo, funkinbottom and Reedt2000 like this.
  6. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

one arm copy.

7. I jammed a few times with a keyboardist who not only stomped all over the bass, but played horrible off-kilter syncopated rhythms and random inversions, which made it all but impossible to sing or play guitar. Highly respected locally, had a swag of music students, but little concept of how to play in an ensemble or as an accompanist, which really surprised me.

Also she always insisted on huge key changes with no regard for other singers, and then would often sing in yet another key.

8. THUNDERGODX

THUNDERGODX

Mar 29, 2006
    Im too polite to laugh at that.
    No, I'm not!!:roflmao:

JRA likes this.
  9. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    In my band i am the keyboardist, and the bassist.

10. Chango Malo

Chango Malo

Apr 8, 2017
    a long time ago, I was playing trumpet in a university small jazz ensemble. We were playing at a jazz festival at another university a few states over with Dizz as the 'star' of the festival. One of the cool things was Dizzy would drop by your rehearsal and coach a bit. Well, he swung by while we were playing "peanut vender" and after we were done shook everyones hand and exchanged introductions. When he got to the piano player he swapped his horn into his right hand and shook with his left. He didn't let go. He smiled. He said "play that tune again, guys" and kept hanging on to Dave's left hand. Dave said "uh, I need both hands..." and Dizz said "no you don't. Play the tune."
    And we played the tune.

11. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    Miles made his keyboardist (some hack named Herbie) sit on his left hand. Lacking similar musical stature, I just tell them "Everything below 82hz is MINE!":D

12. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    They are taught to play with both hands... They cant help it... If you could just mute the keys on the left side, everyone will be happy. In my band we just fired the keyboard player. ;)

13. turf3

turf3

Sep 26, 2011
    I've had that discussion twice in the last two weeks.

14. I bump into these unfortunate cases from time to time including the piano sub who played a piano boogie woogie part on every song.

Perfectly capable of playing solo piano at Luby's. But they are lost in the presence of musicians. No one has ever told them differently.

15. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Miles even told Monk to lay out (m-f'er, I assume) whenever I solo...that went over like a lead balloon.

Bunk McNulty likes this.
  16. thenazz

thenazz

May 9, 2011
    Pensacola, FL
    Clicked on this expecting to see a hammer.