A Nameless Ghoul (bassist) Water Sign fan club

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by fnordlyone, Nov 27, 2015.

1. Damnit, I'm smitten. Ghost's new lp Meliora (which incidentally means: better) is a huge step for the band, and probably the best Heavy Metal lp of this century. Bassist Nameless Ghoul is a big part of this. Even though he uses a pick, his sound is very old school. He can lock in with Drummer Ghoul tighter than hell.
    Let us proclaim Bassist Ghoul an entity worth celebrating! Come get your numbers. I'm looking for all clues to this bassists identity and learning more about his gear, etc.
    Papa Fnord!

2. millahh

millahh Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2005
    Jersey
    Count me in. Seen them three times (once on each tour), quite enjoyed each time. And I honestly feel like they upstaged Opeth and Mastodon the first time I saw them. They are one of the few artists where I'll be counting the days to a release months in advance.

As for gear, mostly Fender P, with a J for (typically) Zombie Queen and Mostrance Clock. Amps and corresponding tone have mored arounf a bit. When I saw them in the aforementioned opening slot, he was rocking an Orange that was pushed pretty hard, sounded even grittier that on Con Clavi (may have even had a little reverb added). On the supporting tour for Infestessumam (sp?), it was a rounder, more traditional rock P tone. Most recent tour, clearly more changes going on from song to song, sine most tones matched the albums pretty well. So, a couple of different ODs and some occasional fuzz.

3. Bassist Ghoul fan #1 is millahh!
    I spied an Ampeg fridge in one of the many vids I've been perusing. Did not know he ever played a J… thanks for the info.
    fnord!

4. millahh

millahh Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2005
    Jersey
    Oh yeah..They're all Dunlop endorsers, so picks and strings can be somewhat inferred from that.

5. Excellent. For those not in the know… Papa sings to suffer the children to come to him… well here's a ghoul interviewed by a cool youngster.

here's the band's new album

freaking sick,
    f!

Stormchaser likes this.
  6. I love this bass line

f!

7. I always thought the singer played all the instruments on the recordings...

fnordlyone likes this.
  8. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    As a metal snob I'll give them a begrudging nob of silent approval. They have a good bit going and they are finding a way to keep Old School metal/rock going. The bass line for From the Pinnacle to the Pit is pretty awesome.
    Its only 2015 and the century is young, but their have absolutely been better metal releases; let's not get carried away.
    I'm not a huge fan of Tobias Forge's voice. I wish he'd put a little more fiery intensity into it. It sounds like he isn't "feeling it."

Veldar and fnordlyone like this.
  9. Big Heavy Bass gets #2. Definitely, Papa is the Writing Ghoul… no data on who the instrumentalist might be lp to lp, or?
    I welcome any "inside" info.
    fnord!

10. socialleper gets my nod for #3
    Most negative reactions by metal heads is based on Papa's (yes, Tobias Forge-- and he's not really hiding it very hard) voice and/or cheeky melody lines. Let's just say: it grows on you. The silly hooks are addictive. As a Zappa lover, I have a high threshold for humor in my music. So… maybe I get carried away sometimes,
    fnord!

11. I can definitely see how some people would be turned off by his voice, it does come across sometimes like he is not even trying and it has a weird whiny quality to it, I think it's cool because it's different.

I have a friend who is personal friends with the band but he hasn't shared much dirt with me except that they are making a lot of money...haha

12. #2,
    I love the voice and melody hooks and I feel that Papa does feel it; there is a subdued, yet fiery passion there in. "Cry for Absolution!" I think, also, some hardcore metaler's might get thrown off with the jam band type guitar solo's. But, I dig it all big time. Yes, because it's different. Dig for dirt, Big Heavy.
    f!

13. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    There's another thread here on TB started about a month ago that had lots of info. Can't link well on my android. Did you try searching here for Ghost yet?

14. Yeah, I saw a couple of threads and participated in at least one as a poster. This thread is here to fill the glaring need for membership numbers who dig the bass lines. And guess what: catcauphonic is #4!
    starting build up quite the fan club,
    f! #zero

catcauphonic likes this.
  15. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    Count me in... I love his old school P meets modern rock.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  16. Matt Dean is #5. Nameless Ghoul's P tone fits perfect in the mix.
    f!

17. Ghost at the Grammys!

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021