a neat little cabinet idea...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DryWater'Bass, Sep 15, 2002.

1. Alright It occurred to me, after I fried the voice coil in my 18" speaker, and being forced to practice through a 2x12 guitar amp...that a 12" speaker could be partly for me...I had the idea of an internally bi-amped system, a 4x12, with two guitar drivers in the top, and a coupl'a bass drivers in the bottom, with an inline high pass filter to keep from blowing the guitar speakers with bass freq.Maybe even closing the back of the bass side and leaving the top side open backed to include the mids and highs...Port the bottom section and leave the back of the top open...A 2 sectioned box...Like 2 2x12s...except in 1 package...Where would the HPF need to be to keep the optimum respopnse of the high drivers?
  2. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    are you going to put full range speakers on top and then dual voice coil speakers on the bottom?? that would shake
  3. what is the go with dual voice coil speakers???
    i see a lot of car audio sub's that have dual voice coils. but how do they work, is the 2 sets of coils on the bobbin?
  4. Since I'm a broke b@stard, I'm planning for the future...I was thinking 2 Celestion Guitar speakers on the top, which would give me a great high end, perfect for the popping and slapping giving the overtones...And two eminence Kappa 12's on the bottom, which would give you earth shaking bottom...Freq. Response spec'd all the way down to 35hz, and I'm told it would project 1 ocave below that, so a Low B would do fine...and highs into the screeching "ouch my bloody ears" range, which with the 2 Crate 12's in the Crate GFX 212 I played through, the pops were amazingly clear...Oh my god...this sounds like heaven....
  5. Dual voice coil drivers are used when you want to connect both the left and right stereo channels to a single driver as in a car audio subwoofer. Since most car stereos don't have a subwoofer out, you either have to have a sub for each channel or use a dual voice coil driver.

The above cab design wouldn't be biamped, you need two amplifiers for that. It would be more like your home stereo speakers which have a passive x-over to seperate the highs and lows. It is an interesting idea though.
  6. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Mesa did something like that with guitar cabs. It was a 4x12, which looked much like any other 4x12 guitar cab from the front, but with the two bottom speakers in a sealed portion of the box, and the top 2 speakers had an open back. Neat idea, best of both worlds, supposedly. Don't know how it sounded, only saw it sitting there. Only one I've ever seen. Hmmm......
  7. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    The HPF for the top two would be good at 80Hz or above. If they're decent guitar drivers (made for open-backed enclousures!), they should handle down to that because that's the lowest guitar frequency.

Hmm, now that I think about it, a bass still probably puts out a good deal more in that range than a guitar. So. . . .maybe you'd want to try a higher cutoff like 120Hz.
  8. yeha i was thinking around 100 Hz or higher, as the other 12's on the bottom would still be good for the lower mids, so you could even go high like 250 Hz.
  9. I actually talked with my electronics advisor(The guy who's building my own custom pre-amp from my design) and mentioned actually doing a biampable system...2 inputs, one to highs and 1 to lows...And a toggle switch on the back to go from 2 inputs to 1 input(Kinda like a bridge switch...Either true biamp or a 2way cabinet)