1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"A" neck P-bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 73jbass, Apr 10, 2005.

1. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    I'm seriously looking at one of these, but I don't know much about them.I think it's a 76 model (not positive on the year), Sunburst,"A" neck / maple board and in great shape.It's difficult to find info and current selling prices on these.I'm actually more concerned about the body wood. I know fender used some pretty heavy ash around that time,and I can't tell what wood it is in the pics he sent.So, if anybody has one of these,please give me a little info on them. Thanks all.

2. Mine's a 78 with the A neck. Maple neck/fingerboard.

A couple years ago Gruhn Guitars had a mid 70's with the A neck for around 750, IIRC.

Now I think it'd be around $1000 give or take some...

p.s. Mine's ash, it's fairly heavy but with a good strap it's tolerable.

3. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    "A" neck P's are very common in that era. B's run a close second. Most people don't realize that there are designations for the widths. They just like narrow or wide!
    $1000.00 these days for a clean P is a great price. We've been selling them in the $1200-$1500.00 range now for a while. We also have to pay a fortune to get them, or the customer will just sell it on eBay.
    Corey