Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"A" neck P-bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 73jbass, Apr 10, 2005.

1. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    I'm seriously looking at one of these, but I don't know much about them.I think it's a 76 model (not positive on the year), Sunburst,"A" neck / maple board and in great shape.It's difficult to find info and current selling prices on these.I'm actually more concerned about the body wood. I know fender used some pretty heavy ash around that time,and I can't tell what wood it is in the pics he sent.So, if anybody has one of these,please give me a little info on them. Thanks all.

2. Mine's a 78 with the A neck. Maple neck/fingerboard.

A couple years ago Gruhn Guitars had a mid 70's with the A neck for around 750, IIRC.

Now I think it'd be around $1000 give or take some...

p.s. Mine's ash, it's fairly heavy but with a good strap it's tolerable.

3. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    "A" neck P's are very common in that era. B's run a close second. Most people don't realize that there are designations for the widths. They just like narrow or wide!
    $1000.00 these days for a clean P is a great price. We've been selling them in the $1200-$1500.00 range now for a while. We also have to pay a fortune to get them, or the customer will just sell it on eBay.
    Corey