1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A need a new bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RadioMasterDude, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Hey guys, I need a new bass, and mine right now is just frustrating me. It's my first and only bass, and it completely sucks... (well yeah it was pretty cheap) The strings are too tense and too far away from the fretboard, the pickups are extremely badly placed and gives me no space to do slapping techniques (which is my favorite thing to do!), the knobs are also in a bad place and I always get hit by them when I play (it hurts). I would like a new one, but one not passing $400 USD. I've been playing for about 1 year, so something easy to play... I was thinking about getting a Fender Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass, but I haven't seen it at all here in Mexico City :crying:... Another option is the Fender Squier Jazz Bass Standard, but I just feel like that one is not for me. One that has it's strings close enough to the neck without the stings to tight. The other day I saw an Aria IGB series bass, and fell in love with it, but sadly the price was ripping me off... I also saw an Aria STB series but I liked the other Aria better. Well you heard some of the characteristics of the bass I want, but here are more:

-24 frets
    -Good looking
    -Acceptable-Decent-Great tone and sound
    -Fender bass design (even though they usually have 20 frets)
    -Maple neck (that's one of the reasons why I want the Fender Squier Vintage Jazz)
    -Well placed pickups and knobs
    -Strings close to the fretboard

-Square inlays

It doesn't really matter if it doesn't have all of the characteristics, but the ones in bold are the "must need" ones.

I can't afford something amazing like a Fender, Warwick, or something about that, I'm just 13. (I get my money from allowance)

Thanks guys, and in case you were wondering there are decent music stores in Mexico City, but just with not a lot of variety.

P.S.- If you were wondering, I like to use parenthesis... :D

2. No such thing in your price range to my knowledge. Your standards are far too high unless you're getting it custom made and that's not cheap.

3. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    If you can stand having 22 frets and no block inlays, then you can most certainly get this.

edit: jsut saw the price range, and there is literally nothing within your price range that has every one of those things.

4. mattygbass

mattygbass Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Stafford Springs, CT
    you have a good idea with the squire vm 70's jazz. or any of the vm series, except the fretless(not great for slapping)they are great basses for the price. another thing to look at is a used jazz 24 they sound great slapped they are an active jazz bass
    24 frets nice quilted maple top. ive seen em go used for around $400.
    or look at some ibanez or yamahas. peavey makes some very nice basses in this price range. you could also get a mexican jazz bass. there are tons of good basses you can find in your price range.

5. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    What? Plenty of decent basses out there...

OP, why don't you look for any Peavey BXP, G&L Tribute (Just a little over $400 new), Yamaha RBX or BB (the cheaper models). None of them will have everything you're looking for, but they're all quality beginner/intermediate instruments.

As for the strings being too far away from the neck. That's probably an issue with your set-up more than an issue with the bass. Take a look at the stickys in the set-up and repair section and you'll see how you can make the bass play better.

6. cbass717

cbass717

Jun 30, 2008
    a ibanez ATK is amazing and super cheap

7. lunker

lunker

May 27, 2008
    Houston
    Where are your knobs that you hit them whilst playing? And your pickups?

Your string height is adjustable FYI.

8. Squire, Ibanez ATK as cbass said above me, SX, and OLP

9. Squier is what i have
    to get the low action just go get is set up