Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A new 5'er

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by iriegnome, Jul 13, 2005.

1. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Well I did it!! My custom 4 string electronics went KABOOM :eek: and I paniced!!! I went straight to the Warmoth site, I found a deluxe 5 body and a 4 + 1 P bass Maple/Maple neck and I am now on my way!!!
    When I ordered the parts I was talking to the guy about the body. Turns out I bought the prototype of the Gecko Body with a standard neck route!! it is a solid 1 piece Mahogany body! I am having a MM5 pick up route put in it. I am going to add all of the holes for the knobs and jack myself! I reall do not know what I am going to put on it yet!!! The neck is a 34" scale Maple/Maple 1-3/4" nut with no position markers on the Fret board. Also, I am having them do something they say they do not do! I wanted the Elephant ear tuners (aka - Fender style). I got them to do that as well.
    I cannot wait!! Here are pic's of the raw body!! more to follow!

2. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    It's solid mahogany?! You're so lucky... I'm GASing for a Mahogany bass. :smug:

3. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    They did not list it and the sales guy thought it was not supposed to be solid. When he pulled it from the shelf, it was a Solid 1 piece!!! I have never had a mahogany bass before! I think that the Maple/Maple should set off the mahogany very well!

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Mmmmm...

Mahogany! :D

5. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Sounds great! Looking forward to hearing about the progress.

:) Marshall

6. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I am having trouble deciding on which pickup? Any suggestions?

7. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    EMG 45 P and 45J

im biased : P

i think it will bring some of the high end back out of the mahog, but im wierd like that

8. I think you 'ought to go ahead and fill that MM5 route with a Seymour Duncan Designs MusicMan SMB5A.
    [​IMG]

~Ryan

9. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I have a MM5 Route. Plus, I have EMG in all of my other basses. I think they are a little to thin sounding for the depth of the wood for this bass.

10. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Got an E-mail late Friday from Warmoth. They first said they would put the 17.5MM holes in the head stock for standard Fender tuning keys, then they backed out and will only do the Gotoh Light 17MM holes.
    Now I am going to have to ream the wholes myself.

11. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Day 8 Million 300 thousand, or something like that. I am starting to collect the other parts for the bass. I picked up a Schaller bridge and a BTS control EMG EQ. Still working on the Bassline pickup and tuning keys :bassist:

12. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    G*D D*MN what the hell is taking so long!!!
    I hate waiting :hyper:

13. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Oh Yea, I picked up all of the parts. Gotoh Tuners and a really nice fender bridge.

14. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    IT IS ON IT'S WAY!!!

15. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    FINALLY :hyper: The new body and neck will be here on Thursday! I should have it put together by Monday. I may take it apart and then finish it after it is all together. I have not deceided yet

16. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Got the neck mounted!!! Working on the tuning Keys

17. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Well, the tuning keys are mounted without the bushings. The wholes that Warmoth cuts are not for "Fender" Tuners and Bushings, they are for the Gotoh type. I have to drill out the head stock wholes to allow the bigger bushings. Total of about 1/2 mm.

18. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Well, I feel a little screwed by Warmoth. I had asked for a MM5 Route. They routed my pick up for the Seymour Duncan SMB5A. It turns out to be the only pick up with those dimensions. I have not choice at all now. I have bought a Mighty Mite pick up and a actual Music Man pick up and they do not fit. I am a little pissed about this. :mad: :spit:

19. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    The BassLine SMB5A is a direct replacement for a Musicman SR5 pickup so it's the same sized route.

[​IMG]

20. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Everything that I have looked at is saying the the SD is bigger. Go figure. Everything I have read than is just the oppisite. All the others are then smaller. I guess?