Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A new Aussie designed Tube Bass Head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Danm, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
  2. Mmm, interesting.

I'm not the biggest fan of Ashton's quality control but I wouldn't turn the opportunity to give it a go. I might have to have a look around a bit. Combine that with one of their 4x10s and thats probly about $1500AU (75% of RRP a fair estimate?) for a sizeable (from their specs) tube rig. Wouldn't be my first choice but I'm willing to be proven wrong.

I too am interested to hear first hand experiences.

Josh D

3. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    That's my thoughts exactly Dave ( oops, sorry Josh ).....

I just stumbled on it while having a look at the specs for one of their Gui&^% amps that was going cheap down here....

Looks interesting... The thing that gets me is, with that few controls etc.... Not much at all to go wrong!!!!!

And how bad can an all tube amp sound??? Nice to see 'em using KT88's too.... Saves a possible mod down the track.

Not much info in the manual ( weight etc ), might have to shoot 'em an email.

Cheers,

Dan

4. i dont mind the ashton cabs..but their heads and combo's are horrible....just think, for the price of that tube head you can get a Eden Nemesis 210 or 410 combo...which is what im doin

5. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    That kind of munny for a head is peanuts.........

Probably because I doesn't have to come from the USA....

Oh well, I sent them an email this morning for some more specs... We'll see if they reply & what they say.

Cheers,

D

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Dan weren't you looking at a Yorkville Tubeythingy? I only ask because of the Yorkville gear I've used (which is admittedly mostly PA gear), I've usually been able to pull good sound from it. I'm affraid I can't say the same thing about Ashton........

7. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
  8. I agree with remo on the labsystems gear - they are awesome. I have played through one of the 115 Combo (200 watts, from memory) and it punched SO HARD! I loved it.

Re the Ashton gear, the only feedback I have heard was regarding some dodgy speaker wiring in cabs and combos - not hard to fix, but pretty annoying. I don't know of anyone who has used Ashton heads here in Tassie.

Im currently running a Sovtek 4x10 and Hartke 1x15 paper from an Ashdown ABM500 head, but for a smaller rig, I was looking at the Eden Nemesis cabs/combos Heath mentioned earlier. Does anyone know if these are available in Aust, if so, who through?

9. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Labby is great gear. I ran a 400RB for over 10 years. It eventually broke and when I went to replace it, I nearly choked when I saw the prices they were asking. I must have got mine before everyone cottoned on to how good they are. Once the word was out, the prices went up.

But Lab don't make a tube head I'm aware of - they didn't when I was on the market. As far as I know they use mosfets as a kind of Tube/SS compromise.... please correct me if I'm wong.

As for Nemisis gear, I got my 410 cab from the Bass Player in Annandale. I love that cab. It's probably the most under-rated cab on the market.

10. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    Yeah Pete, I did try the Yorkville (YBA200)... Loved the sound but didn't have enough clean headroom for my uses..

Thought it would be best to look at over 300w for a toob head for me....

No biggy, just saw it & thought I'd ask if anyone else had tried one...... Like I said in my earlier posts, I'm well aware of Ashtons rep/positioning in the marketplace ( student kinda gear )....

Just wondering if they'd taken a step up with this model.

Will have to wait till I get back to work to see if they replied to my request for more specs....

Did see a Trace Elliott V8 for sale, MMMMMMMMMMMM would be nice if I could get the cash together for that.....

I know what you mean about Lab Systems stuff too...... Nice but just as pricey as the imported stuff... Not sure if they make an all tube head either ( which is what the point of this thread was all about wasn't it?? )

EDIT... It appears from their website that Labsystems don't make anything all tube. So thanks but no thanks..

Cheers,

11. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I never liked the sound from lab systems.. To sterile for me... I'm kind of confused at the moment, i'm looking for a tube head of around $2000-$3000Aus (I'l take used gear too) but not sure where to go.. Fender Bass 300 Pro's have caught my eye though.

12. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    They are a nice head if you can find 'em Popinfresh.... I tried the old Sunn equivilent ( 300T ) and it rocked!!!!!!

Some people have mentioned concerns about their reliability tho.. Not sure how true that is.

13. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Theres a V8 in Australia on the bay right now, you may wana check it out.

14. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    Just trying to get my finances sorted out so I can put in a bid on it............

15. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    This was waiting for me at work this morning.......

"Dear Dan,

I'm so sorry for my slow reply I have been away from work. Here are the
    answers your looking for.

Weight: I just picked up the sample and it would be close to 30kg

Tubes:
    4 x 12AX7 & 6 x KT88

Brand: The amp will come with Electroharmonics Tubes

Bias is adjustable

We really recommend 8 or 4 Ohms only - this is because our bins are 8
    Ohms so if you use 1 it's 8 Ohms and 2 bins make 4 Ohms.

It's sounds most like an Ampeg I guess - we receive the very first
    production models in about 5 weeks, they really are very good value for
    money.

I hope this has helped - sorry again for the slow reply

Regards,"

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

16. Its only natural that they'd say it sounds like an Ampeg (basically the only all tube brand you can get here) but costs less and is really good value for money. He works for Ashton, his is generate by people buying their stuff.

However my interest-o-meter just went 'blip'.

Josh D

17. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    Hit the nail on the head there.......

18. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    5 weeks huh. Which means there should be some in the shops by the time you come up to Sydney in late April. Should we? I think we should? Yeah lets team up and go and terrorise an Ashton dealer, preferably one with a tube ampeg to A/B it with.

19. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    Sounds like a plan to me Poida!!

:hyper: :bassist: :hyper: :bassist:

20. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    $1,184.04 USD. Not bad for an all tube head.