Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A NEW BAND FOR ME...Maybe.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by ZuluFunk, Jan 9, 2003.

1. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    OK, it's been a while. After the break-up of my last band back in August, I was looking to find a better situation.

I've been very very busy.

I've been brought back into drilling with the Army Reserves to prevent being mobilized as an IRR (it would take too long to explain here). I've also changed jobs at work. On top of that we are expecting a 2nd kid in May.

Maybe right now is not the perfect time. Oh, well. Maybe nothing will come of it. Maybe not too much to be unbearable.

Anyway, it's more of a Blues-Jam Band thing. The last band was Jazzier. This is a bit more limited to that standard blues stuff. Same patterns over and over. I'm going to try to get them to mix it up a bit and spread out musically.

If not, I'll just sit back and boom boom, thud thud, hanging on the root.

They did a demo with a different bassist on some of the tracks (the rest are virgins). His work is pretty good but I have a different feel. It seems he jumps on every single turn-around available. I'm assuming that's what they wanted. I tend to hold back on blues progressions to leave those open spaces. Not that I can't fill them in, it just gets to where you're doing the same little riff in every song in a different key. Also, there is a need for those spaces. I prefer to make the overall lines more unexpected than to just do the normal thing with flashes at every measure.

They have potential though. The singer has a good strong voice though not too distinctive. The songwriting is solid though it could be a little more unique. Guitar sounds pretty nice too. I'm not sure if they have a permanent drummer or not.

I think with a bit of work, they could compete well with the local regulars.

So wish me luck. I'm meeting with them tonight to jam a little, then hit a local bar called Churchill's around 9:30 to do a few open mic songs.

The band is called Waiting for Ted.

2. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I think it really worked out well.

For some reason the place was packed. It has this '60's beatnik, underground, ratzkeller vibe.

It was pretty quiet, with people doing these little solo things, original and covers. The first guy up was a regular who played a really cool blues thing called the New York City Pretty Ti++y blues. Then ha made a jaw harp with a rubber band and played jingle bells. It was a hoot.

Anyway, the emcee brough us up and played acoustic lead and sang back-ups (he played on their demo). No drums, just two guitars, singer/harmonica, and yours truly. We planned three tunes, got a good reaction after each ("Now that's what I'm talking about." was one comment I heard). Then the crowd cheered us on for an encore. I busted out the Pentabuzz. We let it rip pretty nicely.

It was all very organic. Not without some misses here and there, but better than with some bands I had rehearsed with for weeks before jumping up.
    We got many pats on the back. A few comments from people specific about the bass playing (which I really didn't feel was all that much), even from a couple of other bassists I recognized fromt he area.

I'm glad I did it. I'm feeling good today.

3. Sounds great, seems like you had a good time, so you can't beat that with a stick. IRR I assume is some sort of ready reserve, if so, let us know if you are called up. It's great to know we have the military out there ready to watch our backs.

4. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    cool man. Let me know the next time you guys play and i'll drive up there; it's only 20 min.:)