1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A New Bass For Me!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xArcticMonkeyx, Feb 24, 2008.

1. xArcticMonkeyx

xArcticMonkeyx

Feb 24, 2008
    Hey Guys!

So, I just made an account on this site to ask for some peoples opinions on a question that I have been trying to answer on quite some time now, What Bass should I buy?

I have been playing for about 1 year on a crappy little Squire Bronco bass. Don't get me wrong, it's a great little bass for learning the basics and some advanced technique on, but I feel like I have majorly outgrown it. So, almost obsessively, I have started my hunt for a new bass. But I can't make my decision, so thats where you come in. Help me find my next bass!

Some of my bass influences include:

Jaco Pastorious
    Flea
    Les Claypool
    Cliff Burton
    Geddy Lee
    Marcus Miller
    Bassist from the strokes (can't remember his name)
    Tim Commerford
    and many more.

I play mostly alternative rock, rock, and jazz. So please don't pair me up with a bass suited for metal :p

I was mostly thinking of either a Fender Precision or Jazz bass or Musicman Stingray, but please give me your opinions. I like to play any styles, ranging from slap and pop, to walking bass lines.

My price range is up to $1500.

So please, GIVE ME SOME IDEAS!=]

2. The_Orlonater

The_Orlonater

Jun 6, 2007
  3. cammage

cammage

Jan 8, 2008
    The Young Guy
    Judging by your influences I can say you can't go wrong with a Fender American Jazz. But if you like the looks you might want to try out a Ernie Ball MusicMan Bongo.

Are you in a place where you might be able to play a few basses?

(Other versitile and wonderful instruments include the Cort G75, and G&L 2000)

4. xArcticMonkeyx

xArcticMonkeyx

Feb 24, 2008
    Yes, I live pretty close to a Guitar Center, and I have been going there and playing with different basses almost every weekend. I played the Geddy Lee Signature Jazz Bass today and I hated it. The neck just felt very strange+uncomfortable to me. Also tried a stingray, and even though I liked it, it sounded a little bit murky to me, and I don't like that the pickups are all the way at the bridge of the bass. I also played the new american standard precision bass, and so far its the best i've played.

5. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Welcome to Talk Bass!

Wow, you have a nice budget to work with. You can get a real nice bass for $1,500.

I'm in love with my P-Bass. I use it 99% of the time for just about every style. I have flatwound strings on it for a nice well-rounded thump. A long time ago I used roundwound strings on it for harder rock sounds and slap. It's simply a great all-around bass. Fender recently released a 5 string version.

http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0190560700#

Way back, I had a StingRay. I had to sell it before I went to college. I loved that bass too.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Music-Man-StingRay-4String-Electric-Bass-Guitar?sku=515555

I feel that you can't go wrong with a P-Bass or a StingRay. Go with the one that feels and sounds best to you. I have a Jazz bass too; however, it's just not my sound. I like how it feels, but I don't really like dual volume controls. I'd rather have a knob to blend with a single volume. Also, I feel that Jazz bass pickups don't put out as much volume as a P-Bass pickup or a StingRay. It all depends on what you like and feel comfortable with. I know guys that swear by their Jazz bass the same way I swear by my P-Bass. One isn't better than another. It all depends on what you feel comfortable with.

6. chris818

chris818 Supporting Member

You just named six bassists that primarily use a Fender Jazz bass.
    The Jazz is a solid bass design that can give you a variety of tones. They're easy to play too because they have a slim neck. IME, if you go with a Fender, settle for nothing less than a American Standard or Deluxe. They're good enough to inspire you to continue to play. You likely won't outgrow a well made Jazz bass.

Definitely try before you buy.

Good luck.

Edit: I just noticed your enormous budget. Dude, buy my Sadowsky Metro Jazz Bass and your search for a serious Jazz bass will be over. It's in the classifieds here on TB.

7. cammage

cammage

Jan 8, 2008
    The Young Guy
    If you can play the Bongo, do it. It, IMHO, is one of the worlds most versitile instruments. But tried and true a jazz will never fail you.

Find one that suites you best.

8. The_Orlonater

The_Orlonater

Jun 6, 2007
    Yeah, since you like guy's who play Jazz Basses, I think you should buy that one guy's metro.

9. xArcticMonkeyx

xArcticMonkeyx

Feb 24, 2008
    Let me just clarify for a sec...

I know that most of my influences play a jazz bass... but I don't exactly want to "replicate" their sound. Im more into finding my own, with a collaboration.

And, of course I plan to try before I buy... and i mean try A LOT.

Also, 1500 is a bit stretched ... i'd say 1500 is a complete maximum. Realisticly, It's probably about $1300.

Thanks!

10. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Lakland 55-02 - u will love it.

11. zenlowend

zenlowend

Jan 26, 2008
    Fender USA Jazz...you can't go wrong. And don't forget the GL jazz in MIJ not USA.

12. The_Orlonater

The_Orlonater

Jun 6, 2007
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Modulus-Quantum-5-String-Electric-Bass-Guitar-Quilt-Top_W0QQitemZ330213446096QQihZ014QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Then this Modulus :bag:

13. -Stingray HH
    -Bongo HH
    -Gibson SG Bass Reissue
    -Lakland 55-02
    -Fender USA Jazz

or buy a used Stingray HH and have some cash left over to buy a head or cab

or buy a Schecter Studio-5/6 and buy either or maybe both.

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I agree, the statistics of your influences indicate Fender Jazz. If you want to kick it up a notch, and you've got the jing, then Lakland JO or DJ, or a Sadowsky.

15. xArcticMonkeyx

xArcticMonkeyx

Feb 24, 2008
    bump

16. I'm of the opinion everyone's first proper bass should be a fender P or J.

It's just the standard. They're simple, beautiful, well designed and sound great. Best place to really start IMO.

17. Doughd54

Doughd54 I wanna rock. rock.

Nov 30, 2006
    Pompano Beach, Florida
    Looking over your favorite bassists, the only one I can't recall seeing playing a fender american jazz at some point is cliff burton. Because of this, I'm going to tell you that you should buy an american jazz, but you won't know that you should buy one or not until you pick a few up and plug them in and try them out.

18. chris818

chris818 Supporting Member

Agreed. As far a Jazz basses under $2000, it doesnt get any better. Thanks for the plug too. ;)

Also, just cause you like those bassists that happen to play Jazz basses, don't rule out a proper Jazz bass just because you want to find your own voice and style and not "replicate their sound". Everyone on TB has influences and unless you're in a trbute band, you probably don't run any unintentional risk of sounding just like your influences or "replicating" their signature sound. A perfect example is your influences that you listed. Commeford uses a J bass as does Nikolai Fraiture of the Strokes. Do they sound the same? Nope.

19. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Three choices I would look into are a Fender Jazz, Musicman Stingray or Bongo, and a Warwick. Maybye a used Warwick. I love them thery are so versitale, I am obsessed with them. Although I don't have enough money to afford one because I'm only 14. I have used one though with my band, and my band plays classic rock, country, pop, blues, and like one metal song and I can dial in any tone I can think of for the song.;)