1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A new bass for the summer

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickenbaker, Feb 18, 2008.

1. rickenbaker

rickenbaker

Jul 20, 2007
    I'm going to be getting some money this summer, and will be getting about 500-700 if I'm lucky. I'm looking for something that is versatile(since I won't be getting a new bass till next summer I nees something that can keep me going) but still growly and somewhat warm(nothing to modern sounding) any suggestions

2. Jamasaurus

Jamasaurus

Sep 10, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Geddy Jazz is always a fine choice. Growly & warm and can get them used for around $500.

3. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

+1

Great bass for the money.

4. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Not only is it growly and warm, it can be very scooped and trebly with the right strings and tone settings. I loved my Geddy.

5. I would also say if you can swing it, find a used Musicman. I personally would recommend either the Sterling or the Bongo. Top notch basses that sound fantastic and command respect from children and the elderly.

6. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    what about in between the people who hes going to be playing for.. LOL

So Musicman are good for kids songs, and Lawerence Welk?

LOL haha sorry had to.

7. Lucas G

Lucas G

Jan 14, 2007
    masury, OH
    a geddy would be a fine choice! a bongo would also be a winner. the problem with a bongo is that when you get one, your other basses get neglected.

8. bassaficionado6

bassaficionado6 Something about gumption

Jan 7, 2008
    Napa, CA
    I dig those Geddy's. If only I had the clams...:bawl:

9. playibanez

playibanez

Apr 3, 2006
    U.S.
    arent bongos a little over his price range?

they play amazing but i cant get over the ugly body =/

what kinda music are you going to be playing with it?

10. Nah, I've seen new Bongos at GC for about 500 for the one pickup version. It's rare, but they pop up every once in a while.

11. Lucas G

Lucas G

Jan 14, 2007
    masury, OH
    well, i bought a new bongo a few weeks ago in that price range. so, it is definitely possible. i know how folks will recommend a bass way out of a person's price range sometimes, but i didn't want to do that.

12. Well Yes a Geddy is very versatile and not too modern. I switched my Geddy pickups out for Model Js and I am happier. I also would recommend a bass I tried out recently and will probably replace my Ibanez srx700...Peavey DE Zodiac Scorpio. It is not modern sounding, you can get a P tone from it and dial in some growliness with the bridge pickup. It also has Seymour Duncan Quarter pounders. I wouldn't say this would be a great bass for jazz or funk but for rock, metal and blues...ohhhhhhhh yeah!

13. And don't forget G&L! I played one of the Tribute series, and that is one smokin bass for the price. It has some balls for such a small bass. And it would work in your favor if you look around and can snag one of the American ones. It may even be harder than getting a Musicman, but it can happen!

14. rickenbaker

rickenbaker

Jul 20, 2007
    I will be playing rock but not in a band setting(just don't have time) a bongo would kick-ass or a G&L...or a geddy, I was also thinking of the new traben chaos core. An HH stingray with aggie pre for 550

15. CBAnaesthesia

CBAnaesthesia

Jun 2, 2005
    John Moyer of Disturbed plays what is basically a Traben Chaos Core, so how bad could they be? :smug: I'm looking at a maple-boarded one myself for a back-to-school present or something this year.