Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

a new bass

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by ambiguousman88, Nov 4, 2003.

1. ambiguousman88

ambiguousman88

Nov 4, 2003
    SA Texas
    hey i was looking into buying a 1958 flying V Bass guitar
    do you hav any information on that guitar or a place where i can find out more info. and how do the humbuckers do on that guitar thanx

2. DW

DW

Jun 22, 2000
    Flying V basses were made in 1981 only.

If anyone tells you otherwise, hold on to your wallet and run away as fast as you can.

3. ambiguousman88

ambiguousman88

Nov 4, 2003
    SA Texas
    Hey
    I dont know if you are compleatly true, many sites are selling a 1958 Flying V Bass, Most all are remakes of that model but there was still the 1958 Flying V bass ive looked it up extensively. but do you know a site that sells a old flying V (1981,58) that art remakes?

thanks

mark-ie-moo

4. DW

DW

Jun 22, 2000
    I'm sure that Gibson only made the Flying V bass in the 1981 model year, meaning a few may have actually shipped in 1982; and that only about 300-400 were made.

Epiphone makes a copy of the 1958 Gibson Flying V guitar. They make a companion bass, and I just now realized that they call it the 1958 Flying V bass. That's obviously what you're seeing on different sites. But in fact Gibson never made a Flying V bass in 1958.

I do know a couple of guys who own 1981 Gibsons, but I don't know of any for sale right now. They occasionally pop up on eBay or gBase, an all-original might go for $1400-$1800, a modified one for less.

Here's a site you might find interesting: http://www.flying-v.ch/ . In the Gallery section you'll find some 1981 bass photos.