Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A new bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by I.'.I.'.Nakoa, Feb 4, 2002.

1. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    well, after 3 years of the same bass, im looking for a new one.. i dont want to spend a whole lot( like 1g + ) because im getting a car and doing things to it. im thinking about getting the lakland slykine 5501( i think thats it) with the 2 soap bars, 5 string with the rosewood fretboard, a mtd kingston 5 string (rosewood board) or look for a used spector or peavey cirrus 5 string. which of these would you pick, and why. give me opinions on the mtd and the lakland ( i know about the cirrus, i play them all the time at a local shop and spectors ive played a few times) i have no way of trying the other 2.
    i play alot of slap when im playing by my self, my band is heavy metal(not numetal) some fast solo stuff( just thought it might help to know what im into)

( i know this has been done before, but maybe i can get some new responses, or better ones from people who have had more experience than the last time they posted about the bass)

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You picked some great basses. I don't think that you can go wrong with any of them. I haven't played the Lakland Skylines yet, but if they are as good as people are saying, the 55-01 may be your best bet for your musical style. Although any of them would do the job well.

3. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    thanks for the reply embellisher. ill probably go with the skyline 5 string, but any other opinions would be appreciated.

4. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    i always gotta screw soemthing up;)

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I bought a 55-01 last week & it's a great playing, sounding bass. The neck is awesome!!!! Super versatile pre-amp.

I LOVE Spector basses but the 5 string spacing is alittle tight for my taste right now. The Lakland has a wider neck which is more comfortable for my hand.

I haven't tried a Kingston.

The new Peavey basses are AWESOME sounding!!!!!! Again the width of the neck is alittle too tight for me. :(

6. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    I own or have owned all of the basses you are looking at. I sold them all so far except for the 55-01, which I think is the the best of the 4 for the money. They all are very good choices, but the Skyline has been the best sounding and playing to me...It is a very clunky looking bass, but it plays great!!

7. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    You've pretty much hit all of the favorite
    bargain basses among this crowd. For
    the kind of music you play (including slap)
    I would suggesting just getting a Stingray
    5 for around $1100.

But like the man said, all of those you listed
    are great choices.

The Bartolinis in the Skyline might be kind of
    tame for metal. I used to have a 55-94 and
    it's kind of a mellow instrument compared to
    a MM or Spector.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Captain, according to people on the board who own 55-01's, the Barts in them are much more aggressive sounding than the 55-94 Barts.