A new cabinet building ? bgavin/joris/anyone...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by a_5string, Feb 24, 2003.

1. a_5string

Feb 19, 2003
    midwest - Iowa
    First post here for me, i apologize for the length...
    I have been building my own cabinets for a few years now and i wish i would have found this place and searched it years ago!

Does, anyone have any theories on how Mesa Boogie determines cabinet size & port demensions/tuning freq. for the Powerhouse 1000 cabinet, the version that is one common cabinet with 4x10+1x15? After exhaustive searching here, and of several news groups etc., the only thing i have come up with is that "mesaboogie hand tunes each powerhouse cabinet" but no theories or practical examples for designing a cabinet of this type. :confused:

IMO the best sounding cabinet i have run across for the kind of music i play is the PH1000.
    Anyway, about 4 years ago, I put together a cabinet with the PH1000 configuration, but was never comfortable with not having a solid theory for determining porting for it. According to my own subjective testing (my ears and bandmates) the cabinet was louder and lower than the previous separate 4x10 and 1x15 cabinets i had built using the same drivers.

I'm getting ready to build a new cabinet with new drivers and want to build another of this type, but wanted to see if anyone has ideas on how different size drivers with differing TS parameters would share the same cabinet air volume/ports.
  2. No.

Welcome aboard. Mesa doesn't publish squat about their cabs, so the only way to know for sure is obtain one and reverse engineer it. Pricey.

I "hand tune" every one of my cabs too. Still have not found a way to sit on the couch and tune cabs using a remote control. Perhaps Mesa means they actually check each cab tuning? This is costly and time consuming, unless the manufacturing techniques are not consistent, or the production cab differs from the design prototype.

Production drivers vary also, but I doubt that each Mesa cab is individually volume adjusted and retuned to match individual driver T/S characteristics. A 4x10 would be a bitch, because one would have to find (4) identical drivers.... It all sounds like Marketing B.S. 101 to me...

There are numerous alignments for vented boxes. Some produce optimal flat reponse, others produce the tightest bass response at the expense of less bottom end. Others provide small cabs.

Vance Dickason's "Loudspeaker Design Cookbook" details everything you want to know about the various designs. My spread sheet is available from my signature and has more than 1,000 alignments for all the popular drivers that have published specs.
  3. a_5string

Feb 19, 2003
    midwest - Iowa
    That happens to be how i see it also...
    I'm pretty familiar with the different vented box arrangements, and must add that your research data and archives are impressive. I work in the electronics engineering field and can appreciate the work/time it takes to compile that kind of hard data.

I guess it was wishfull thinking that someone had come up with a way to model 2 different size speakers that share the same cabinet... I suppose the only real way would be to "guestimate" port size and # of ports and put it on a test bench and measure the actual response and hand tune from there...:( Talk about a giant PITA...
  4. Unless both drivers have identical Vas and other parameters, they cannot share a common box, and do it right. One of them has to be sub-chambered.

For portability reasons, I favor two smaller boxes of the correct size and tuning, instead of one big box with a subchamber.