1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A New Day, a New Problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by insomniac2295, Sep 8, 2008.

1. So, a while back I posted a thread about how my Low b on my 5 string was distorting. Well after switching up my rig a little, I'm having a similar problem. Right now, I'm using a friends 5 string Yamaha bass going into my Kustom Groove Bass 1200HD, then into a single 1x18" cabinet loaded with an EV EVX180B speaker.

The sound that's coming out of it when I play my B string it sort of half distortion, half farting sort of. Kind of like the sound a speaker makes if you were to tap it with a pencil or a screw driver plus the sound it normally makes. What could be the problem? Blown speaker? I checked the battery in the bass and its fine, no problems there and the head is in perfect working order. I've narrowed it down to the cab. Could it be the wiring in the cab?

2. bump? or maybe instead of seeking help on here, i should just suck it up and bring it to a service tech.

3. LesS

LesS

Mar 3, 2006
    no longer a member
    It sounds like the voice coil could be rubbing.
    But before you replace or recone the speaker, I would try a few things.
    You might have already done this, but use it with different basses and amps so they you can be sure that the problem is in the speaker.
    Also, this is a long shot, but store and use the speaker for a while with the cabinet turned upside down. Heavier cones like in an 18" speaker can sag a little over time until the voice coil rubs, so rotating it 180° ever so often is a good idea.

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    More likely the cab is not properly engineered to work with the driver and it's exceeding excursion limits.