Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A new direction, an old formula Ampeg and Schroeder

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassJunkie730, Mar 1, 2006.

1. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Ok so I'm going to eat my words. I've recently come to like the 21012. I think a lot of my frustration with my sound comes from misusing my amp and searching for a tone that really isn't there.

I've been playing through some tube amps lately and while they have a great full sound - I still like the punchy response of a quick power section.

So you'll notice that the Funk is up for sale. If I regret it then I've got bigger problems here.

The reason I'm posting this is for a bit of encouragement and possibly for some clarity. I feel like certain items are compelling me to a sound. I did a lot of reading with the Ampeg related threads, and knowing that I play ganky high energy rock, punk, and just balls out s*** I want to go with an update formula that seems to really work

drum roll please....

Ampeg SVP-CL

Carvin DCM1500

Schroeder 21012

The preamp and power amp will fit nicely in my 4 spack 11" deep rack
    and I should get damn close to SVT but for only 40lbs.

And I'm pairing it with my take on a 1957 P bass (more on that later)

REAL meat and potatoes tone.

So you guys know I've been around the block in the last year

I moved from an Avalon U5 into a QSC 1602 and Schro 1210

to a Thunderfunk TFB550 into a pair og Bag Ends

And now I'm rolling into the above.

Money is tight, as always but like Bowlus says

Life is too short for bad tone (gear) ;) ;)

Here we go!!!

~M

2. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    That's cool. I like the Ampeg sound, though preferably you'd be doing it with an actual tube power section ( ;) ), and my DCM1000 that I had for two years bridged at 8 ohms never gave me a lick of trouble. Have fun!

3. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    I've got darn near the same rig, the SVPCL into a SVP1600 into a 21012. I like a ballsy, growly, wooly bass tone and my rig is great. I keep the crossover rolled over at about 60/40 to favor the lows. I'm running my power amp bridged (1200w continous, 1600 peak @ 4 Ohms) and never had to drive the amp past about 50%. For a lot of people, they might not dig the tone, but it's this cat's meow.

By the way, if you add the Aphex 204 into the mix, you can get flat nasty with this rig. I've been experimenting a lot with controlling feedback at low volume...I can get the gnarliest "organ" tone!

4. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Hmmm, me too. And I can't seem to get it out of the SVP-PRO + 21012 unless I cut the tube drive way back and throw half a dozen bands of EQ at the thing to thicken it up. How do you do it?

5. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    I usually play my bass 'active', with my balance between pups at about 2/3 toward my bridge pup. If you do a search on 'SVPCL' in the amps forum, there's a thread that a few of us with that pre have opined what settings we use. There's a few people that got early CL's that needed a factory mod to get more gain - that wasn't the case w/ mine, and that issue isn't a factor now. I usually set my gain at about 2 o'clock, my master at about 3...I run my rig into an Aphex 204, which to me gives me a lot cleaner, more natural aggressive tone than using distortion. If you're interested, I'll PM you and tell you more, but no matter what you get, take a look online at the 204; for the $ it's the most valuable piece of gear I have, and coupled w/ the 21012 it can stand damn near anywhere I've gigged on it's ears.

6. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    got the DCM1500

$275 shipped score!!!

Now that pesky SVPCL and I'm set!

What do you guys think a fair price on a used one should be?

And I'm going back to meat and potatoes balls out P-bass tone

with a pick or without, slapped or not, flats and rounds. I'm going to finally get this damn cab working for me instead of against me.

~Rock.

7. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Well, thanks for the reply. And after a closer look at your profile (and rearching what the heck your KSB is), it's clear to me that we have radically different definitions of "ballsy, growly, wooly" tone.

So you're playing an active Jazz clone through a BBE clone. I still have a BBE I no longer use - don't need the scoop, or the distortion-muting. And I prefer passive P/J basses to get that tone. I've never heard "balls" or "growl" from a Jazz, it's more like a "furry purr". :p

The 21012 is very active-friendly and J-friendly. It's such a dry cab, you really need an active bass to wet it up. And the 10's respond much more to a J pickup than a P. Plus, you don't use distortion. So I can see why you dig it. But even with my SVP-PRO, I have one bass in particular that sounds HUGE and MONSTROUS through any cab - except the 21012. With the same amp and distortion settings the 21012 sounds like an AM radio with a subwoofer. Go figure.

8. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    Glad to help! Regarding tone, I'm sure you're right. I've played a Ric for a long time, and there's definitely a difference between that and my KSD.

Actually, the KSD is an import based on his design - not necessarily "an active Jazz clone". If you want to go with that definition, then you could call just about 3/4 of the non-Fender basses a clone, right? (Lakland, Sadowsky, etc.) I happened to read a couple reviews, talked to a few people that played them, tried it, and wound up with a bass that sounds great and I love to play (which is the bottom line).

The Aphex 204 is completely different than the BBE if you really look at how they work - I did. Again, I studied, tried it (and the BBE, too) and bought it. If I'd have wanted a BBE that's what I would have bought.

9. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Sounds like a solid rig, I bet it'll be a nice setup once you get everything tied togeather.