1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A new flat user

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassistgook, Mar 22, 2009.

1. bassistgook

bassistgook

Feb 5, 2009
    I've been using DR hi-beams for a long time and after reading so many flat users post and listening to some old Iron Madden I decided to give them a try again. I had tried flats on a cheap beginner bass years ago which didn't sound good at all. Tried them out again on my fretless a couple years and was pretty happy with the tone except for slap. Just last week switched all 3 of my Ibanez basses that I gig with to Rotosound Flats. Durring practice I was liking them a lot, and at our show last night got some complements on my tone. I think I am now gonna stick with these strings cause they are getting a great low end and my highs are still coming through while still sounding like a bass. The funny part is my guitarist calls flats tone killers, he doesn't know I switched to flats yet but said he likes the tone of my new strings lol.

2. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    There are still a lot of people who think flats are only good for one sound...and that sound being, dull, lifeless or dead. :rollno:

I just had a rehearsal with the originals band I'm in and they had just picked up a new drummer who was a working drummer in Nashville, but moved back here for family reasons. After our rehearsal he made a comment that my bass had a killer tone to it (best he had heard in quite a while). I have D'Addario Chromes on it.

3. bassistgook

bassistgook

Feb 5, 2009
    The thing that really surprised me with these roto flats is they still get a good slap tone on my basses (Ibanez SR506, BTB456QM, & ATK750KA) and work for everything I'm doing which is mostly progressive rock with a touch of metal mixed in to get the crowd moving.

4. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Yeah, thats why i play em :bag:

But i can get clanky and slappy (almost) from my Chromes as well.