A new Jazz bass maybe?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by harley_ou812, Jan 29, 2002.

1. Hey everyone. I am looking into getting a new bass. I am looking deeop into a fender jazz but I am concerned about having single coil pickups and 60 cycle hum. How much of an issue does this pose and is it worth being concerned about. Are there any advantages other then 60 cycle hum to having a bass with humbuckers? What basses are there with 2 humbuckers that i can look into?
  2. StingrayKid21

StingrayKid21 Holding down the low-end since 1996.

Oct 7, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Hey harley_ou812,

I don't know much on the 60 cycle hum subject, but I am quite a fan of humbuckers. I have a stingray 5 and I really like the sound of the humbucker. It just seems to produce a really full sound. I have played jazz basses and they sound great, but I just like the humbucker sound better. I don't know if there are any advantages to the humbucker other than hum-cancelling though, I think its all just based on opinion.
    As for basses with 2 humbuckers, if you look hard enough you could probably find a MusicMan Sabre, but they are pretty rare. Otherwise, G&L ASAT bass and L-2000 both have dual humbuckers.

Good Luck!
  3. I aint no doctor, but I've borrowed jazz basses for a few gigs in a few venues and never had no probs. I have a *suspicion* from elsewhere on these forums / my stupid brain that if you blend the two jazz pickups they sorta work like one humbucker & cancel hum ... otherwise a parametric EQ will de-hum pretty nicely (or so i been told - i said i aint no doctor)

but like i said, i've used them and had no probs, and a lotta people out there be using them ..?

Humbuckers have a different kind of sound ... fuller, thicker, fatter, less twangy / crisp / less of those smooth highs .. ah .. think fender strat (single coil) vs gibson les paul ... except for bass, like ... or precision vs jazz (!)

There's a lot out there. StingRay kid gave you some real nice starting points; I just got a Cort artisan 5-string I'm diggin (which may be below your price point) ... lots of humbuckers out there.

Also, search the archives for key words like "single coil", "humbucker", "60 cycle hum", etc. I think there's even a "what basses have 2 humbuckers" thread!
  4. Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    The 60cycle hum is no problem if you just want to gig with it or jam with friends. When I got my jazz bass I had to practice with headphones because I was living with my parents and it really bothered them. The hum really bugged me through the headphones. But when I played with other people I could hardly hear it. If you use the bass for recording the noise may become a problem but there is ways to get rid of it after. The other thing you can do, which is what I did, is get humbucking jazz pickups. I got the DiMarzio Ultra Jazz and they sound amazing and there is no hum.