1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A new journey! Might be a long read...

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by ChrisFerrell, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Hi there,

My name is Chris Ferrell and I am a bit of a 'returning bassist'. I am currently a band director and PhD student in music education. I have been a professional saxophonist and clinician for about 16 years after pursuing performance in graduate school. I played guitar pretty faithfully until college, and my practice requirements for saxophone forced me to put it aside. I tinkered with bass a bit, but never had the courage to pursue it.

However, I have ALWAYS had a secret wish to be a bassist. I found myself gravitating towards recordings and tunes with great bass lines and seeking out great bass players to listen to. I have worked with a number of great bassists in the live performance and studio world, and always was secretly envious! I always felt that I had a voice with the instrument, but never had the guts to jump in. Well, now I have! I can't believe what I have been missing! The world of funk, pop and R and B will have a new meaning for me now!

Being naturally curious, I'll probably have lots of technical questions, so any help is greatly appreciated! I am looking forward to a new experience in music.

CMF