1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A New LDS? Find An Older Boogie Diesel 2x15? or Upgrade An EV B2150M?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LongHairFreak, Apr 20, 2010.

1. LongHairFreak

LongHairFreak Insert cool nickname? Nobody's given me one yet. Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Twin Cities - MN
    Hey Folks

I'm itchin’ to upgrade my cab situation in some way, but am having trouble deciding exactly what to do about it. I currently have an EV B2150M that I'm really diggin' the sound of, but it's not quite loud enough and it farts out too easily. So, I want to find a way to get a fair piece louder and a bit deeper too.

I think I'm comfortably inside my zone with 15s--I've tried a few combinations of 10s & 12s and I keep coming back to 15s, so I plan to stay there but...? Generally, I'm not at all fond of tweeters either; it's just bottom and mids with some creamy dirt for me.

As has been suggested to me already, I could simply throw a couple of 3015s into my EV, but, from what I understand, the Xover to the 4"(?) likely won't do well with that sort of change, so I'm hesitant to try it.

or... I could look for another B2150M. my Carvin DCM 1500 will do 4ohms to each side easy enough and I'm thinking I'd be groovin' a plenty with 4x15s, but man...That's a lot of cabenit for this 51yo to haul around.

or... I could look for an older Mesa Boogie 2x15. Which might just be the ultimate in tone for me (though there's many others I haven't tried). Still…that's one freakin' heavy cab.

or... Perhaps it is possible Don at LDS could do me a 2x15 that'd give me most/all the sound I'm looking for, in a cab coming in under 100lbs. I’m already emailing to&fro with Don and we're not finished yet, so he hasn't said one way or the other as to if this can be done. If it can be though, it'd seem to be the best of my chosen options; but I'm a bit leary to think a lighter-weight cab can do what a MB Diesel 2x15 can do...tone-wise, that is.

Obviously I need to make the decision myself, but I wouldn't mind a bit of guidance from those in the know of building/upgrading enclosures. So, does anybody have an opinion or two they'd like to share? Thanks to all who participate.

2. Attached Files:

3. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I run an M9 through an LDS 15/6. 2 of them ( or a 15/15/6/6)will blow your mind, but it'll take a bit of time as Don is (happily for him) buried with orders. IME his 15/6 is the best gig cab I've played at the best price.

4. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    I have a 800 watt LDS 4-10 cab that'll blow your @$$ clean off, but I don't know of I want to ship it, though. It has low end to spare.

5. LongHairFreak

LongHairFreak Insert cool nickname? Nobody's given me one yet. Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Twin Cities - MN
    Obviously there's more gear involved, but can you give me an idea of what comes out of an LDS 15/6? I ask because I'm just now getting rid of a BFM O15TB (15/8); the reason being that I'm not very fond of the tone I get from it. Certainly there's a difference between a BFM &a LDS, but I only know this because of their design differences.

6. LongHairFreak

Aug 7, 2006
    Twin Cities - MN
    Well, as I mentioned, I've not tried everything, but I think I'm going to stick with 15" speakers. Thanks for the thought though.

7. jamzcl

jamzcl

Jul 21, 2004
    Des Moines, IA USA
    I've been trying to find one exactly like that for the last couple of weeks. Found one local but they want $700 for it...OUCH!! I've seen them go from $250-400 and would gladly pay that to have one.

8. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    LDS all the way IMO. 2x15, 2x6.5. It will take your face clean off if you stand in front of it. Under 100 lbs? Try under 70. Priced around $750 per cab. It's one of the best deals out there, and you will get a M O N S T E R cab that will last you for a lifetime. Check out the LDS club, there are some 2x15, 2x6.5s posted there. It's absolutely ridiculous how loud and low they can get.

9. They want $350 for that one... I think I may have to buy that as it's about 50 miles from me...

10. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I can't imagine having 2 EV B2150Ms. I remember moving that beast around...that thing is like 147lbs...300 pounds of cabinets would be crazy! That said, I'm also surprised that cab isn't enough volume. I recall that it was LOUD.

You could also try and find a 2x15 diesel with no speakers and just tear the 15Ls from the B2150M. Or maybe you could get a cab builder to make you a Diesel 215 clone. Again, if you use the speakers you've already got, you could keep costs down.

My current rig these days is a Mesa Buster with a 15L in it...I like those speakers too! Good luck on the continuing search for the ultimate tone/weight/volume!

11. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    The LDS 15/6 I have has no tweeter. It goes lower and louder than my Epi 310 did, and the dedicated mid driver gives much clearer mids. It is a clear, not "grindy" cab. According to Kjung this is because in a "normal" 2 way cab where the midrange comes from the larger bass driver, the mids get a bit distorted and "grindy".

12. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I have an EV215M as wel as the B15M; love the tone; neither get that loud
    They both have a single 8" midrange
    Depending on what you read on the interweb, these cabinets had either 100 or 200 watt drivers, but more importantly, limited excusion; meaning the fart out easily
    Have been advised here that it's not worth the $$ for a driver change

Sounds like LDS is a good way for you to go although if you feel like driving to Maryland, I'd love to see this cab go to a good home for cheap

13. LongHairFreak

Aug 7, 2006
    Twin Cities - MN
    :) I don't get out east too often.

14. LongHairFreak

Aug 7, 2006
    Twin Cities - MN
    Well, Don at LDS has suggested possibly using the Delta 15LF w/a mid driver. A test load apparently shows it to be a good balance of vintage and modern.

It has a xmax of 4.8 and a sensitivity of 96dB.
    As I've already indicated, it will be a 2x15; most likely w/a mid driver.
    Good? Not good?

15. morebass!

morebass! I'm all ears Supporting Member

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    I've got a Mesa Diesel 2x15 with the original EVM 15Ls in it that I've just recently decided to sell. Great cab but doesn't fit in my new-to-me vehicle. I'm a half-day from you. PM me if interested.

16. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    morebass! has offered you a nice option.

As for the deltalites, they aren't nearly as impressive as the Kappalites. 2 Kappalite 3015LFs and 2 18soundND640s...you will have to change pants after using that cab.

17. LongHairFreak

Aug 7, 2006
    Twin Cities - MN
    Hmm. PM on the way.

18. The Mesa 2X15 are a work of art in My opinion!

19. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Just build your own. Save money. Get what you want, and the satisfaction of doing it yourself.

Or save the headache and have LDS build you a 2x15. Just a straight 2x15 without mids or a crossover and that would kill.

20. LongHairFreak

Aug 7, 2006
    Twin Cities - MN
    A handful of years back I thought of building my own, but it didn't take me long to fully realize that, on account of being blind, the only real work I'd be doing is sanding, driving screws and being a go-fer for whichever buddy of mine "assisted" me in the build. I'd miss out on most of the fun stuff--drawing out plans, cutting, drilling, etc.

So either another builds, or I buy off the shelf.