A new member of the Lull Club!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Arthur U. Poon, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    My wonderful wife let the cat out of the bag; she's buying me a beautiful new Mike Lull M5V from Jay at Blueberry Hill Bass for my Christmas present. :cool:

(I've already bought her a very nice Diamond ring for Christmas, so I think I'm covered :) )

I know that a bass "doesn't exist" here until pictures are posted ;) , so I'll ask Jay to post a pic or two of it.

I've been doing lots of research on a J-style 5-string that can get more of a "traditional" tone, and out of the basses I had on my wish list, the Lull was my #1 choice. :bassist:

It has a swamp ash body, a graphite reinforced 35" scale maple neck with a maple fingerboard, Duncan Basslines single coil pickups, and an Aguilar 3-band EQ with an active/passive bypass switch.

Now I can't wait until Christmas to try it out!!! :hyper:

2. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Okay I know Christmas is only six days away but I would be going a bit nuts with the wait........ Can't wait to see the pics.

ps Does your wife have an equally generous twin sister??
  3. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Man, you're gonna love the M5V.
  4. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    As requested..... :smug:

A photo of the Lull M5V, and I also throught I'd throw one up of Art's SKB 3006 that he picked up about a year or so ago. ;)

Attached Files:

5. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    ...and a close-up of the body and birdseye board. :bassist:

Attached Files:

6. nice, if you ever get devorced send your wife this way

7. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    :D :D :D

thanks for posting pictures of my new Lull. It's always great to do business with you.

And thanks to everyone for the great replies!

- Art
  8. nice, I just picked up the candy apple red one jay had a couple weeks ago. Lull's are amazing and so is your wife :D My lady bought me a sadowsky when we got engaged, so she's pretty cool too :D
  9. Damn! I've been ripped off in the wife department, nary a bass to be seen! (She was intending to buy me a U.S. G&L for my bday, but I beat her to it, so I shouldn't really complain...)

VERY nice looking bass, congratulations
  10. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Sweet looking bass!! Mine new M5V should arrive next week!!
  11. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Hi Mr. Poon. It seems you have a wonderful wife and now another wonderful bass to go with her! Merry Christmas and a happy bass playing New Year!
  12. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Poon, it seems you have a wife to rival mine. :D

(she bought me two basses this past year and encouraged me to buy a third, after I had not been playing bass much in the previous few years).

Can't wait for your review. I'll be curious to hear how it stacks up to your experience with Laklands and Sadowskys.
  13. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Okay, that's the third beauty of a Lull that's been purchased in about a week. You all are making me angry.

Don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry... :spit: ;)
  14. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Congrats! The grain on that body and neck is just beautiful.
  15. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Thanks for the kind words. :)

Well, I haven't had a chance to play a Sadowsky, and I'm kind of afraid to, I'll most likely end up with terminal GAS for one! :D

I've tried a few Laklands and I think they're fantastic basses. I really liked the models I've tried; their tone, fit, finish, and especially fretwork were all top notch. Budget-wise I was planning on either a 55-02 or a Skyline JO-5. :cool:

But my wife really surprised me with the M5V, and I'm very excited to hear it on my next gig. :hyper:

(Don't tell her, but a 55-94 is still on my wish list, along with a custom Nordstrand 6-string and an MTD-635. Does it ever end?!? :eek: )

Famous last words, but my new Lull is going to put a halt to my bass and amp buying frenzy. :oops: :help:

-Unless I start selling off some of my 4-stringers! :eyebrow: :D

16. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    I had a chance to briefly try my new M5V through my Demeter/Crest/Bergantino rig tonight before it got gift wrapped.

I can already tell the Lull's beefy yet balanced tone will blend nicely in the 4 piece I play in, and I doubt it's tone will get lost in the mix. :)

Tonight I wanted to see it if the bass would be noisy with lots of high boost. I first ran both pickups at full to keep it in humbucking mode, and it was amazingly quiet. I then soloed each pickup, and it was still pretty darn quiet. It's fretwork is a sight to behold and it's fit and finish are flawless. I really like how it's neck heel is sculpted and the backside of it's bottom cutaway is beveled slightly. This makes reaching it's higher frets much easier for me compared to my Fenders. It looks like Mike has done quite a bit of homework in regards to refining the Fender design. It's also very evident to me that Mike is a fanatic about detail.

I add another post after I get a chance to try the Lull on my next gig, which is at one of the clubs that gives me "noise-fits".

Thanks again to Jay at BHB for helping me find a great bass! :cool:
  17. I can't wait until i'm married...then my wife can buy me basses and i can brag about it on talkbass!

nice basses art!
    i really like that roscoe!
  18. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Lulls are sweet. The natural look is a great way to go. That birds eye board is to die for.

I picked up a preowned M4V on a whim, and I've been really impressed. The action is better than the NYC Sadowsky I had for a while ( :bag: ).
  19. michele

michele Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Mhh... I thought I was a lucky guy just because my wife came with me when I bought (with my money) my Sadowsky! Gotta show her this thread!!!!
    Congrats man, enjoy your present!!! ;)