a new mystery problem for the effects lords

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by skunkrawk, Dec 31, 2005.

1. skunkrawk

Apr 25, 2003
    I have a problem where my Boss DD-5 and Emma Discumbobulator operate extremely noisily when engaged when they follow my Alesis Bitrman in my effects chain, regardless of whether the Bitrman is engaged or bypassed. I don't notice as much (if any) noise from my other pedals but haven't thoroughly checked. It only affects the pedals the come AFTER the Bitrman in my chain. If I take the Bitrman out of the chain, voila, no noise at all. I'm running all of my pedals on a 1spot except the Bitrman, which requires its own special power suppy that uses 830ma. The Bitrman is more of a desktop effect as opposed to a pedal (the mouse-click style button switch would require extreme toe precision to engage and would probably break after a few stomps) but with the footswitch jack it can easily be used as a pedal in my setup. I would just get a looper to fix the problem, but if I wanted to use the Bitrman AND pedals after it in the chain simultaneously, the noise problem would still exist. Anyone have any ideas? Is it a power/voltage problem? I may just end up putting it last in my chain before my Akai Headrush (which it seems to not have a major noise effect on) but would like to see if anyone knows a way to fix the problem first. Thanks! -Dave
  2. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    With an effect like that there are a lot of configuration possibilities. You are using it in mono with the left in/left out jacks, right? I'd start by dealing with the input trim and the compression settings first. make sure that you aren't overloading the input, and that you aren't running excess compression. You can end up with a lot of noise depending on how the comp and int input gain are playing together.

Good luck.
  3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The Alesis was also primarily designed to run with all those desktop "groove boxes", rather than bass (although obviously it works). It probably puts out a nearly line level signal that's expecting the impedance of a line-level mixer channel. So you would want to find a pedal which would buffer or step the output back down to an "instrument" signal before going into your Boss/Emma pedals. Try the effects loop of a preamp.
  4. skunkrawk

Apr 25, 2003
    I use mono input and left output and have the trim all the way down, so the volume of the Bitrman when it's engaged is normal and in line with the rest of my signal/pedals. I don't use the compression and distortion settings when using it with bass or guitar becuase it makes the signal way too loud, I only use the Bitrness functions. Would putting a DOD 250 right after the Bitrman help?