1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A New Piece to Buy.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kayan, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Kayan

Kayan

Oct 11, 2006
    Hi all.
    Now I've got problem in my life - so enormous, that I want your help. Yeah, actually, I want a new bass. :D

Can you advise me something like this:

Light-weight, made, maybe, in somewhat classic style (like my current Invasion BG-710).

With good lows to make a rumble and, at the same time, sharp highs to make a hard slap. With clicking attack also.

Active.

I thought of 2 pickups - single (neck) and double (bridge).
    Maybe, there is a better way.

Cost about 1000$

Yeah, I know: the most of you'll say "Warwick".
    Is there any alternatives among, for example, some kind of Ibanez guitars?
    Really I can't play them all to choose by myself. :D

2. Warwicks are anything but "light".

3. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    MY Warwick Rumbles, but highs are abit hard to find if you wanna have some bass in your tone... :p

I was about to say Status graphite, but then saw your limit, so im saying: Used Status Graphite Basses.

oh, and you have a double thread.. delete one of em ;) (you probaly allready knew that...)

4. excane

excane Inactive

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Musicman Stingray, probably used if you need it be under $1000

5. Kayan

Kayan

Oct 11, 2006
    That's it. :D A sad fact.

What's the price for "Musicman Stingray" and "Status Graphite" - right? - new stuff. And - the most important - what group/man uses it? Are they rare?

Never heard about it, an unforgivable ignorance :D .

6. They're not all that heavy. Most are average I would say.

Stay away from neckthrough models, you will probably be OK.

7. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Scads of them on ebay, most selling for about $1K.

8. Lowend65

Lowend65 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    For $1000, you can't beat Carvin
    The B4 sounds like exactly what you are looking for.
    [​IMG]

9. If I was going to go and drop a grand on an instrument, I'd be a little bit more concerned with how it feels to me as opposed to who else is using it. You're looking for the bass that is going to represent what you need the most. That aside, I'd look into a good old fender jazz. You can get the American Deluxe used for under a grand and they have incredible Fender noiseless pickups on them. It's a light bass that's very well constructed and will do well in any situation you put it into.

If any of these basses sound appealing, you can check completed bids on eBay to see what used prices are looking like, and you can check online catalogs to see what new prices will look like i.e.musiciansfriend.com. good luck, there's nothing like the excitement of knowing all systems are go for a new bass.

10. That depends on what you want, and where you live. You can get a very basic Status Smartbass for under €1000, depending on what electronics, body, hardware you want. Most models are much more expensive though. A basic Stingray is about $1500, or about €1800.

Stingrays are definitely not rare, quite the opposite. Players I associate with them are Tony Levin and Flea, but that's just a tip of a veritable ice berg.

Status basses are a bit more rare, again depending on where you live. They seem to be quite common in Britain, for example. Mark King, Guy Pratt, Pino Palladino, John "Rhino" Edwards, and many more play Statuses.

11. Kayan

Kayan

Oct 11, 2006
    Yeah, are love their combo's. Didn't know they're making a stuff for them. :D

That's it, for sure, but, if I am to spend that grand on such kind of thing (a big money for me :D ) - I am to choose the only one for me from a huge (I mean, HUGE) number. So, I can't play them all. And I'm listening to you and looking for possibilities. All of you've already give me priceless advices. :D
    Now I can start choosing. If you have something more - don't hesistate to say or show. :)

I live in Russia, so the most of your brands will be hard for me to obtain. :) But I'll try.

12. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    Most famous Status Graphite user i guess would be John Entwistle, he used them from around 1996 up until his death in 2002... Mark King is pretty big to i guess...

New they are pretty expensive, i think the cheapest you could get is around 2000 dollar...

13. Not quite. As already noted in this thread, you can get a Status Smartbass for less than that. Depending on what pickups, electronics, etc. you choose, you can get one for about €1000. But, yes, most Status models are a bit dearer, though not as expensive as one might think. The big problem is finding one outside of Britain. They seem to be popular in Germany as well, but are very rare birds where I live.

14. Kayan, look into a Euro Spector, it should suit your needs nicely.
    They're made in the czech republic but I'm not sure of their availability in eastern europe, they seem to have good distribution in germany though. You can find them for around $1000 on this side of the planet, but they'll probably cost more there :meh:

Personally, I'd take advantage of Warwick's lower prices in Europe :bag:

15. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    That's a myth. With the dollar/euro ratio they are usually cheaper in the US.

16. Asomodai

Asomodai

Jan 21, 2006
    London UK
    Sounds like you need a nice Status Headless bass. A-la mark king.

That sort of tone?

17. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    ah, yeah, i didnt think about that(when i checkout one like i want its always around 1400 euro :p wich is about equall to 2000dollar?)

i know they are hard to find, i bought one last year(a all tree model though) and i have only seen one other for sale here in norway the last year....

18. If you say so :meh:
    I've come across other europeans state that they get shafted on the price for US instruments but pay considerably less on the street for warwicks.

A quick pick on ebay.de shows a brand new warwick corvette for 689E ($862US), compared to the same bass on sale at musiciansfriend.com in the US for $1039US.

19. Thanks for pointing out the €-$ ratio. I thought the currencies were a bit more equal in value. But now I know that the very basic Smartbass that is roughly €1000 will cost about $1400. Sorry for my previous spreading of desinformation.

On this side of the border, there seem to be quite a few NOS Statuses around, from the time when most models had wooden necks. And many of them can be had at bargain prices. Graphite necked Statuses are much, much rarer, and no company I know of has distributed them here the last few years. It's a shame, really.

20. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    You're looking at different basses. The one on ebay.de is the cheaper, swamp ash model and can be had for even lower than than, 649 euro in thomann.de. However, the bass you're looking at musician's friend is the more expensive bubinga version (which is my main bass btw) and it costs 1029 euro at thomann (which is one of the cheapest music stores in europe). That is $1287 vs $1039 at musicians friend. Insanity.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2021