1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

a new rig, help me decide!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by WillySanchez, Oct 4, 2006.

1. im looking to upgrade my rig a bit. i have an swr big bertha, and an ampeg bse410he, with a hartke 3000. im looking to enhance my stack a bit. i dont have a lot of money upfront so there will be some trading piece by piece with some cash included. any ideas where i should begin? should i get a new head first? what kind of head would be good for my cabs (they're both 8ohms). should i upgrade my cabs first? any ideas at all? im a little strapped for cash but i'm not completely broke...help me a bit here.
    p.s. i play indie rock with a p-bass...and a lil overdrive. i just don't like the sound im getting from my set up, i always feel like im breaking something when i crank it up.

2. For indie with a P bass with a little overdrive... i would try and go for an all tube head, may run you some money, but thats what seems to be the thing these days.
    Check out like Ampeg SVT-Cl or VR or SVT-II, Orange, theres tones out there.

3. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    The 2x15 Big Bertha should keep you covered with enough power going into it.

I'd get a pumping head. Ashdown MAG 600 maybe or a Genz Benz.

4. patrickshofner

patrickshofner Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2005
    Central Kentucky
    I agree....sounds like tube is just what the doctor ordered. I just bought a Traynor YBA200 for $579 shipped. Could be a viable option for you.

5. If you have a few minutes, check out Carvin. They have an array of combinations. I just recently purchased a BR-610 Combo that arrived last week that I have waited 3 months for. For me this rig rocks!!! I tested a few different ones out there ie. G-K,Eden,SWR,Fender and Ampeg and they just don't seem to have what I was looking for, mainly in the pocketbook or the tone. Happy Hunting.

6. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    +1

great call. a used traynor would be right up your alley. or a used ampeg svt if you could find one that cheap. good luck.

7. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    +1 on the SVT or the Orange. Those are the two best tube amps for rock that I've played. (IMO that is) My next purchase will definately be an Orange.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 23, 2021