1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A New Take on Orchestration

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by SpankyPants, Aug 23, 2007.

1. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    In days of the old, musical composers would often write a piece on piano and then re-write the song for an orchestra. I recently did the same thing but on bass.

Here is the bass file. I jammed the song with a phrase sampler, and I recorded it with my laptops onboard mic. It sounds like crap, but you get the idea. The point is that I had created a role for every instrument (even drums) with just bass.
    www.myspace.com/spankypantsmusic

Now here is the finished version:
    www.myspace.com/etaliatheband

I used a lot of piano and synth at first, but at the end I bring back all of the tracks on bass (except for the strings and a drums). I had to use a highpass filter to prevent all of the bass tracks from getting muddy, but it ended up better than I had expected. I also used the Ampeg Sub-Blaster octave filter to recreate the Sub-Synth line at the end (which was also the line that I had been palm muting in my first recording).

What do you guys think? Pretty cool, eh?

2. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    sounds cool man. the Final Cut turned out a lot Better than I thought after hearing the initial rough sketch. Really nice work though man, i can honestly say that i dig it.

i friended you on both your myspace sites as well.

3. Supernova67

Supernova67

Jun 21, 2005
    Michigan
    Nice Work.

Friended.

4. MarkMyWordsXx

MarkMyWordsXx

May 17, 2006
    in the old days? i though that was how it was done. i guess thats what i get for majoring in music..

5. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Well "in the old days" being "before now". It is irrefutable, however, that that is how it was done centuries ago.

6. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    There is no reason why it can't be done from any other instrument, but piano translates well to standard notation.