A New Venue?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ConTraBajisTa, Jan 21, 2003.

1. ConTraBajisTa

ConTraBajisTa Guest

Oct 5, 2000
    auburn, ny
    (hopefully this is the right topic to put it under)

my friends and i had this idea for starting a new venue in our city. the city isn't too big, about 30,000 people, with a mall that is barely a mall (couple department stores, couple small stores, and a small food court). the mall is one story, except for an upstairs on a good size of the mall. it used to be a bar, a skating rink, and a teen hang out, all of which shut down and it is now empty. perfect place for a venue, a place for bands to play with a mini restaurant, just a place to hang out.

we've thought about things like, first off, cost, and the noise level, what its gonna take to maintain such a thing. the mall was called to see what kinds of things were entailed. alot of money was the biggest problem. but i figure somehow, a place for people to go to watch bands that they wanna see, eat, hang out, would benefit our city alot (you know, crime rates and all that stuff).

my question is, how would we, a couple of kids, some in college, some finishing highschool, manage to turn this thing into a venue? any ideas or input is very very welcome.
  2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Id imagine having trouble finding the people to show up and the bands to play in a town of 30,000.

There are enough problems with such things in Miami.

There arent many clubs that cater to rock bands and shows on a steady bassis.

3. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Hang on, don't give up on em so easily. I've got a bit of a bee in my bonet - I kept walking around the Sydney CBD spotting empty dumps and thinking "Man that would be a great place for a venue". But I could never scrape together the cash or the courage to do anything about it. I am not exagerating when I say that each and every one of those venues is now a bar/pub/club of some description, leased out by a giant comglomerate with a trainload of cash. And they're now raking it in. I regret that I didn't explore more avenues before I gave up on it.

Guys the odds are firmly stacked against you, but keep sniffing it out.
  4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Girl actually ;)

I wasnt trying to discourage you, but just warn you what youd be up against.

My band mate and our band's manager (just a friend who has contacts since his dad has a high level job at Sony) are actually hopping to get something similar started and run it in conjunction with a small record label. Our manager's dad is trying to get interested buisness partners to help out by investing money, and it seems like there is a high potential for sucess.

Im not sure what your local scene is like, but I suggets you go out there and try to find out what it needs most.

Miami needs:

A solid rock club with plenty of all ages nights, and a large room. It should be able to hold shows for big time National acts.

Must have a good stage and sound system.

Competent booking managers who can book a show that will draw people to the bands they know and others they dont. Also good pairing between bands, and diversity from night to night.

A good location (not in Ft Laderdale/ West Palm).

A good resource for getting musicians together

Thats the list we've come up with, and there is actually alot mroe to it, but just to give you an idea of what would help.

Try to make a list showing what your scene needs, and what can be done to take care of it.