Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

a new way of thinking

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mykeindk, Feb 11, 2003.

1. mykeindk

mykeindk

Nov 18, 2002
    california
    My bass playing has improved since late august when i first started playing i started seeing music in a different way. I used to be like "i don't care for that band there music sucks", Now im like if they got a good bass player then im going to listen. Has you're bass playing make you see things differently? :bassist:

2. more a music thing than a bass thing. I used to be very partial to certain types of music, and pretty much ignored everything else. When I started listening to everything else, a whole new world opened up. I can remember the excitement (and frustration!) of learning how to walk through a jazz standard...or hearing Jeff Berlin/Jimmy Haslip/Jaco for the first time.

My playing is much better as a result; it kinda happened in reverse for me

3. mykeindk

mykeindk

Nov 18, 2002
    california
    I see, i remember those days and nights of wanting to quit playing because i couldn't play certain songs but i kept playing and eventully i got them down perfectly, that's the most important thing practice practice practice so what if your wrist's are hurting and your fingers hurt like hell. :D Anyways I just wish i could slap.

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    this would be more appropriate in miscellaneous, so off it goes.

being a musician definitely made my ear more open and my listening tastes more complex, and not just for bass. learning about what made music tick gave me an appreciation for music styles that i would've not otherwise appreciated.

5. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Been there, done that! On good nights at practice my fingers still hurt - but it's a good hurt!

As to your original question - I opened my ears more when I started playing. Lots of different styles that previously I wouldn't have given them time of day made me more interested.

Oh, and I've been playing nearly 15 years and I still can't slap!;)

6. mykeindk

mykeindk

Nov 18, 2002
    california
    WOW those are a lot of years man, that's awesome i hope to get pretty old and still be playing bass.

and dammn it hurts after a good day of practice with my band, i still feel sore :)

:bassist:

7. rygelxvi

rygelxvi

Jan 6, 2003
    I feel similarly. But I look for a good band as a whole not just a good bass player. How a band works together is far more important than how a single member plays. I will listen to any style as long as the band can play well but the really great bands don't limit themselves to one style. :bag:

8. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    It can also do the reverse. Sometimes as musicians, we can become too critical of music. It's hard to appreciate simple things, because they may not be as technically complex as much of the material we study. While Avril Lavigne's "Complicated" certainly does not approach the stratosphere of John Coltrane's "Giant Steps" I've learned to appreciate each in their own right.

9. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Absolutely. When I was a kid I listened pretty much only to heavy stuff. Once I started to play, I started to listen to everything.

Of course, then I went through the "if it isn't technical, it sucks" phase. That one is harder to get out of, but once you are you are pretty much as objective as can be.

Now people think I'm weird because my CD changer has Charlie Hunter, Minor Threat, Bach, Cannibal Corpse and Squarepusher in it all at once. :meh:

10. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Yep Thrash_jazzs has the same problem I do. People don't understand how I can like Eminem and System of a Down at the same time. But I do! And I don't that would be the case if I wasn't a muso. That's not a bad thing though.

11. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Absolutely, I was always concious of a Bass Players tone, or the things they did that gave them character. But I never "listened" to the total bass parts.

Now, that's all I've been doing, even on some songs I can't stand. POP hits especially. I learn how people get hired, by what they can play.

12. tyson

tyson

Feb 9, 2000
    Dallas, TX
    sure. since the early 80s i have been repulsed by Rush and have always avoided their songs. but with so many people in these forums citing Rush music i've been forced to listen to them just to know what people are tolking about.

13. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I'm listening to "young and Rollins" right now. Being, two guitar virtuosos strutting their salsa flamenco stuff. They have an excellent bassist, but I don't listen for the bass, their melodies are so well done, and played with such passion, thats what I listen to the most. as soon as I clean my hands from the oily chips I'm eating, I will be sitting down with my ABG and learning these melodies, because I just love that sound and that style, and I want to accomplish it on bass.

That is one way that I have found has helped my development as a musician and a bassist. Keeping my ears open to the melodies and the song structure, as much as, or more so than the bass. If I hear a sick guitar line, why shouldn't I learn it on bass? same goes for a sax solo, or a piano riff, or a pennywhistle theme....its all music, the instrument(s) used is just the voice by which that music is expressed.

14. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I just gotta give another shout for Squarepusher! this guy doesn't get the credit he deserves, he's a friggin genius.