Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A newbie question about the Hz filter of my QSC.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by James reeve5, Mar 7, 2003.

1. I have a QSC RMX running into two accugroove 110's.

Accugroove's 110
    Frequency Response & SPL: 43 Hz - 18 kHz (37 Hz@-6db) 100 dB SPL

Q: Should I use the 30hz filter or the 50hz filter?

Thanks!

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    the 30 for sure.

The lowest frequency on a 5 string is 31.5 hz. On a 4 string it's 41hz. So if you cut everything below 50 it'll chop down every note below G.

3. It's actually a gradual slope, not a complete cut off so watch out if pushing anything ultra low; your 30 Hz filter is NOT a cure all.

4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I use the 30 hz......it's a nice feature on a power amp.....saves wattage.

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I'd say start with the 30, try it on a gig and if your woofers are moving too much use the 50 Hz. filter.

You didn't indicate whether your lowest string is tuned to E, B or lower.

Since most of the string's tone comes from harmonics and very little fundamental is present, you might not even hear the difference using the 50, yet will save amplifier power.

Again, start with 30 and let your ears and eyes deside.

6. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    i have a b string and use the 50... it really tightens everything up for my av 115. i was reluctant to, but it was worth it in the end for me i.e. no more farting from the bottom of my stack. ymmv of course but it can't hurt to try... :cool:

7. well, they are a gradual slope so some of your lower frequencies will still be there. When I first started using my PLX/F-1X set-up, the sound was so open that the cab would sometimes "bottom out" with my DOD FX25 dub-machine; using the 50 Hz filter still didn't help. I ended up compressing just the lows a tad with my split-band compressor (Rane) and went back to using the 30Hz filter. bottome line? The 50Hz filter should be fine for your average 4-stringer.