Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

a newbie type question on speaker power ratings...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cowsgomoo, Jul 2, 2004.

1. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    it's one of those questions where I'm pretty sure the answer is obvious but getting it expensively wrong could maybe be avoided by asking an easy question here... :)

I've got a 4x10 cabinet, and i've blown 1 speaker and 2 of the others look like they're on their way to speaker heaven too...

I want to replace all of them with 4 new speakers that'll handle a bit more power, and like the look of Eminence Gamma 10's (8ohms/300w)

My question is... if I wire them up in the normal 4x10 way... (2 x (2 speakers in series) wired in parallel) ---- would the total power handling of the speakers be a sum of each of the speaker's power rating (i.e. 4 x 300w = 1200w), or would it be something else?

2. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Yes. But if the speakers aren't properly matched to the cabinet it could sound really bad and they could blow rather easily. If the speakers' parameters suggest they're ok with the cab volume, then you can match them up by tuning the port (changing its length and cross section area).

In the meantime, if you're using a cab in which one or more of the speakers is blown it'll screw up the tuning and make the others speakers more likely to blow.

Alex

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Agreed.

If you can post the measurements of the cab, we can check the speaker's compatibility for you. There's also a 99% likelyhood that w will have to readjust the porting...... trust me it'll be worth it. You're wasting money otherwise.

4. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl