Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A NICE and SHINY new Corvette...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OrangeWillard, Sep 5, 2005.

1. I'm looking at buying a Warwick Corvette. My only problem is that I don't know how much of a difference there is between the Corvette Standard and the Corvette ProLine. If someone could please explain the differences, and whether or not you feel it's worth an extra $500, I'd be very grateful.

Also, I was wondering about pricing on a Corvette $$ Double Buck, and whether or not I should consider that in my purchase of a new bass. Thank you for your time and support.

2. Hi , I have a 97' Warwick Corvette Standard 5st ,i just love it.
    the basses,well the bodywood on the Standard is Bubinga and the Proline is flamed maple. gold hardware for the Proline and chrome for the Standard,thats pretty much it.

3. Hey, thanks for the reply. I'm currently playing on a 5-string, but I don't really need the B string. It's an Ibanez EDA 905. I can't say I'm a fan of it, but I was maybe 15 when I bought it, and it was only $380. It's lasted me almost three years, but now I feel the need to upgrade.

I would take the B string and tune it up to a D so I wouldn't have to go in between Drop D and standard E tunings at shows. But I would not want to attempt that on my New Warwick. You know, a bass made out of materials that you have to actually take care of.

Once again, thanks for the input. I was also wondering if the flamed maple affected the tone of the bass a substantial amount, or if they're practically the same?

4. The flamed maple will give the bass a brighter tone than Bubinga. Bubinga has a wonderful dark growl though and is very resonant. Heavy though!

5. The Standard will sound more like a "Warwick" - dark & growly because of the Bubinga. But if you hunt around & can find a pre-98 bass with the wenge neck, that'll be your best deal. You could probably pick up a wenge bolt-on Thumb for $900-$1000!

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Id go for the standard :)

The double buck is a completeyl different animal, i think the corvette standard is nicer myself.

7. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    As the ProLine is solid flame maple, it's not much lighter than the Std. It's heavy, but manageable.
    Try both if you can and decide which you like better.