1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A Nice Gary Willis for $3999

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Altitude, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
  2. It'll be a peaceful day in the middle east before I even consider spending 4K on an Ibanez.

3. is it true the retail price?

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Retail prices have always been jacked up to make the street prices seem like a better value. Ever look at the "list" prices on Carvin models? :rollno:

5. I can't believe I'm the first to say it, but....

Whatchoo talkin' about, Willis?

6. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Well.. at least the "Gary Willis sure grip tuning keys allow for restringing"

;)

7. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    you missed the fine print. Gary Willis comes with the bass and plays with your band while you can sit at the bar and chat up the honeys.

I hear the new Flea bass is really cool except he jumps around a lot.

8. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    ...and is nude far too often.

I will never buy another Ibanez, especially an over-priced piece of crap like that.

9. I take it that's based on hours of playing that particular bass, right?

To call it a piece of crap is going far, though the price is ridiculous and is not something I'd pay for any signature instrument.

10. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    it's nice, but what a ridiculous price! :rollno:

11. steve21

steve21 Banned

except for the price it's going for is less than 800 bucks. 3999 is just a number, 800's what they're askin'.

12. middlebit

middlebit

Sep 10, 2005
    København
    No, he didn't, but seller is referring to the new GWB-1005. The 105 up for sale has gone out of production as of the start of this year. That new mother will be damn expensive and apparently handmade by a single luthier...so I'm rushing to get my hands on one. I can't see what all this has to do with this sales add, though.:eyebrow:

13. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    I didn't know that George W. Bush played bass. Is he playing in a band?

14. middlebit

middlebit

Sep 10, 2005
    København
    :D Yeah, he's playing in his church band (called 'Brainwashing Children') and he's also working on a jaco tribute called 'Word of Massdestruction'.

15. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    No kidding. I wonder how many of them they plan to sell. I would actually like to have a GWB - they look cool and sound great - but at the $4000 price point there is some ridiculous competition. You could almost buy TWO Sjkolds...

16. sjoakes

sjoakes Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    saint paul, mn
    I emailed the seller regarding the misleading retail price (the retail price of the Willis model that he is actually selling is something like $1200).

He didn't seem too concerned that he was being misleading, he said that the picture in his 2006 dealer catalog looked the same as the 2005 model, so it must be the same. I pointed out that the new $3999 model has a black headstock to distinguish it from the cheaper 2005 model...but he didn't reply back nor did he change his ebay description.

Hopefully, some poor sap won't bid on it thinking it's the new, handmade version...

17. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    lol :D

18. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    my basses don't allow for restring and let me tell you, buying a new bass everytime the strings goes dead adds up to 3999 really fast.

19. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    No, it's based on the Ibanez logo on the headstock.