Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

a nice gig story....

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Aug 10, 2003.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    had a rotten gig experience on friday nite, and was gonna write about that, then decided rather to tell about the nice experience we had last nite.

it was a cover gig we booked by searching for bars that had entertainment, online. pay was $90 a man. bar was right outside of kennedy airport, on a pier, in the middle of nowhere. there was hardly anyone there, couple of guys playing darts, a few families eating, and the peeps looked nothing like NYers - felt like i was in wyoming or something. at first i thought we were sunk cuz they told us we had to be really quiet before we even started (we don't know how to be quiet) and the few people sitting at the bar seemed all over 45 yrs old. anyhow, to make a long story short....

we all ate (including our drummers girlfriend), it was excellent food, and they didn't charge us :eek: . we all drank, (me o'doull's of course :cool: ) and they didn't give us a bar tab. we only played till 1AM (9 - 1), the few people who were there were really appreciative of us. they paid us the second we were done with no complaints and a hearty "we'd love to have you back." and the kicker, we went to tip the waitress $30 who had been ultra kind all nite to us, and she absolutely would not take take it. she siad a hug would do just fine, and gave us all a really nice big hug!

:D this is not common in NY. i have faith that it will become more so.

2. genesis6891

genesis6891

May 29, 2003
    Wow well I live in London, in the UK, but I can still appreciate what a great story that is!

3. ...damn! Must of been your secret fan club or something,lol.

4. Thats the kind of people you should be playing for :D The kind that appreciate you taking your time to come out and entertain them all! Congrats.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You were in Bizarro New York.

6. ClarkW

ClarkW

Aug 1, 2003
    Provo, UT. USA
    ^^^ Everyone had goatees, right? It could have been the Alternate Dimension New York.

7. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Now that you mention it, I have had similar experiences... all in smaller, less crowded, out-of-the-way places.

What is it about those, anyway? Why is it that bad gig experiences are, more often than not IME, in bigger, more popular venues?

8. I think you entered a teleportation device. Doesn't sound like the Northeast to me :)

9. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Bigger, more popular venues:

-look even bigger and make you look less popular when they're empty.

-can afford to skrew you with pay cuz they have a million bands who want to play there.

-have more drunk people in them when they're full and the potential for idiots being there goes up dramatically.

-are places you REALLY want to go over well in.

heck, there's prolly lots of reasons for that. i think i prefer the smaller nicer venues. yes, in fact, i'm sure i do.

by the way - most of em did have goatees.

:eek:

10. Makatak

Makatak

Apr 13, 2002
    New Zealand
    Hi , Its even nicer when they come & see you after the 1st or 2nd set and book you for more ! keep it up mate and deliver the goods .

11. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    there's this manager that always gives us free drinks, whether we are playing that night or not. he tends to get fired a lot, but he still books us at each new place he works at. he's really cool. he just really like the band.

:D

12. Great story Joe!!! Sure makes up for the bad ones, don't it? :D

13. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Really! I was thinking: "Hugs? In New York?!"