1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A nice intermediate set-up?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by divinenow, Aug 14, 2007.

1. divinenow

divinenow

Feb 14, 2007
    Michigan
    Hey guys,

Right now I'm in Germany for a year or so, and while I managed to bring my bass with me, I have no amp. The prices here are absolutely horrible, so I was thinking about getting a nice amp to ship over from America in the next month. Problem is, I don't happen to know very much about amps, and looking through reviews, they all just seem to have glowing praise. As I don't have the opportunity to play around and hear these amps out for myself (and unfortunately, I don't think I'd be skilled enough with amps to be able to determine any potential flaws or distinguishing features), I decided to come to you guys for some good advice.

Background

Skill I've been playing for a couple of years yet only recently have I started taking it seriously with the purchase of a new bass

Bass Stingray 5-String, Rosewood neck. Haven't learned how to take advantage of this great bass yet, but hope to over the next few months

Other Amps Ibanez 10W Starter Kit Amp, 700W Peavey Head & 300W Ampeg Cabinet (Simply not able to take this overseas)

Looking For

*Medium-range powerful amp to fill-in the gap between a practice and a large setup (small-to-medium gigs)

*Lighter combo setup. The main flaw of the larger setup I have is the inconvenience of taking it anywhere, and I'm looking for something to take care of that

*Handle different styles well. I plan to experiment with industrial, funk, progressive, punk, and many types of rock

*Handles the low B string well

*Performs well on stage and through recordings

Currently Looking At

Ampeg BA210SP
    Ampeg BA115HPT
    Ampeg BA115HP
    SWR WorkingPro 12
    Ashdown Electric Blue 15
    Ashdown MAG C210T
    Fender Bassman 250/210
    =============================================

My ideal price range is $450-550 although if it is worth it I can go slightly above. I'm not sure about the importance of effects because I'd like to get a Boss Multi-Effects Station sometime in the future, and I don't know if having pre-installed effects is worth the extra money.

Thanks for your time and please leave some advice.