Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A nice little thought on selling out.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Brendan, Apr 28, 2001.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Today, was watching Behind the Music on Huey Lewis...and found out that Ghost Busters was just sped up "I want a new Drug"...which brough to mind a quote from Moby:

(Paraphrased)
    "If someone asks me if they can use my music, I say yes. Becuase they obviously want my music. If I say no, they are just going to find someone to imitate it. So If I give them my music, then I get exposure, and I get money too."

Something like that. So true.

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Dang! I didn't know that. In fact, what is really odd is that I liked the "Ghostbusters" theme, but never liked Lewis' "I Want a New Drug." It just goes to show that a different arrangement, singer and context can totally change the character of a song.

There's another example. I watch a Mexiacan soap opera, "Carita de Angel" to keep up my Spanish chops. I dispise the theme song, sung by Tatiana, a Mexican songtress noted for her children's songs, which is exactly what the theme song is anyway.

That said, during the telenovela, itself, that same irritating and simplisticly childish theme is played on piano slowly, with feeling and sensitivity, even adorned with violins and it it is utterly transformed into a beautiful, almost haunting theme.

Guess that just goes to show that almost any song can be rescued with the right arrangements and instrumentation.

jo

3. I dont think that's selling out...that's just being smart.

4. that's interesting seeing as a large part of Moby's music is sampled off 50's soul records anyway.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Mock...that's sort of the point. If he can do it, and they want to pay him for it, why not? Someone else could, so why not "sell out" and get some dough yourself?

6. er, yeah. the wording of my post was a bit vague- probably "appropriate" would have been a better choice than "interesting".

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Having suffered him in S. Florida, Lewis'/News' music ain't no "Sgt. Pepper's"... (didn't break any new ground). He should be flattered anybody would care to cop that stuff, IMO. :rolleyes:

8. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    Unfortunately there are ripoffs all over, for example, You know the Manson version of Sweet Dreams? Speed the guitar up quite a bit, sound familiar? I'll give you a clue... I'm GOIN' OFF THE RAILS ON A CRAZY TRAIN!! Listen to it, you'll catch it.

9. Actually if you speed it up you get...
    Sweet Dreams, the origional version. Listen to the origional and you wiil here it. Crazy Train, though in a different key, is similar but it is not the same riff. The riff is a knock off of Sweet Dreams by the Eurythmics but since it's a cover of that song, I guess it's OK :D .

10. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    Tatiana Sucks :D:D

i´m in Mexico, i know what i´m talking about!
    LOL :D

those telenovelas get in my nerves... i don´t watch them but that´s me...

all the people here are obsessed with those things... and I know that they are pretty famous over Rusia and Europe.

but if you are using Telenovelas to improve your Spanish... GOOD for you!! :)

11. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I saw that Behind the Music. If I recall, there was a different reason Huey wouldn't let them use his song. I think Huey Lewis was definitely one to also realize that he wasn't a phenomenal musician, or that he was contributing great art, but just fun music. From what I heard, he definitely saw himself realistically. I can't remember why he wouldn't let them use his song though.

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...yee-ow! ;) Huey & The News; true, nothing "new", just simple "good time" bar tunes; seemed as though they had some fun(their videos?). ;)
    Anyway, the bassline in the verses to both "I Want A New Drug" & Ray Parker, Jr's "Ghostbusters" are similiar...
    So what! In that regard, how many ol' Rock 'N' Roll & R&B & Disco tunes are similiar? McCartney even admits that his line from "I Saw Her Standing There" was a direct lift from a Chuck Berry guitar part.

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I'm sure I've heard of a few legal "test cases" where the decision has been that you can't copyright a bassline. I can't remember the particular artists involved, but being a bass player (!) this stuck in my mind of course.

An original song consists of lyrics/melody and anything else is up for grabs legally. Jazz musicians grab any chord sequence they like and improvise or write new melodies over the top - all the "greats" Parker, Coltrane etc. have done this.

How many times was the "Good Times" bass riff re-cycled?!

14. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I wish people (especially musicians!!) would just stop using the term "sell out".

I know SOME of you guys gig, some of you have released recordings, toured, etc. so you KNOW that in order to make money you have to make some compromises.

It's a business, it's your career and livelihood, so you do what you have to do in order to make a living.

15. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

To Dave Costelo, yup, Tatiana sucks, but I guess kids need to have their music,too. Funny, though, when I was a kid, I HATED nursery rhymes and "kid's music." I loved the music my dad loved, big band jazz and symphonic music.

I know telenovelas are totally lame, but the Spanish is conversational. So many Spanish books for Gringos are so elementary as to be almost useless. (Mesero, quisera ver el menu, por favor.)

Plus, the telenovelas feature native speakers, each one with his own way of speaking and talking at real life speed, unlike Spanish tapes that use very slow speech you'll never hear in the street.

I lived in South America eight years, so I know how frustrating it is to be confronted with "real" Spanish and not the textbook version. Man, it is overwhelming!

Another way I keep up my Spanish "chops" is listening to Latino pop, like Ricky Martin, Paulina Rubio, Carlos Vives, Chayanne and Los Ilegales. The constant repetition helps to grind phrases into my brain.

As I spend half the year in Southern Florida, a mastery of Spanish is a tremendous asset and Portuguese, too. Unfortunately, Brazilian novelas aren't shown on Univision. While I once lived in Brazil three years, it was so long ago, I don't remember as much Portuguese as I would like.

JO

16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well as a gigging musician, I think it's very nice to see the phrase "sell out" appearing on the door at the venue !! ;)

Actually, as with many threads around here, I think it's best to ignore the titles, as they usually have nothing to do with what is being discussed - more like the relationship between a clue in a cryptic crossword and it's answer.

In business it's taken for granted that you will steal other people's ideas shameslessly and call it "benchmarking"!

17. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Saque un boligrafo!

Man, what the heck is that crap! You say that to my Dad and he'll just stare at you funny. Now you tell him to get a pluma, then ya got something.

And ARGONAUTS, that's not necessarily true about all actors being native speakers, remember Erik Estrada!? :D He had his lines delivered to him through a small speaker tucked in his ear.