Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A nice "metal-bass" below $1000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ToolRulez, Jun 4, 2002.

1. Hi, I'm looking for a new bass (it's just my second so I can't afford musicmen or something like that). Most of the time I play metal (sometimes in a band) but I don't know wich bass I should buy. Does anyone have an idea?

2. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    You can get a used Rickenbacker 4001 in very good or excellent condition for less than $ 1,000. You won't be disappointed, especially for metal, and most generally for rock.

All the best,

3. hey man, i'm actually inthat kind of position at the moment too. I am thinking of getting the ESP F205.

I'mm also kinda thinking about BC Rich Beast and Jackson KBX (though i'm afraid that's only based on looks). I'm not sure how well they play but more extreme metal bands use that kind of bass.

this probably wasn't very helpful, good luck anyway.

4. can't go wrong with a jackson

5. BC Rich basses suck, plain and simple. Don't worry about how you look, focus on the sound.

6. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    For sure! Can't beat a P-bass for metal. Or my favourite, a G&L L series... As for other metal basses, anything with a solid sound does the job. The aforementioned Ric would be great too.

7. Thanks for the replies and I agree totally with Matty Lite, I think the ESP's and BC Riches look great but I don't think they're the best basses I can get.

And thanks for the tip about the G&L (MontyP), I never thought about them.

8. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    a japanese Fender Precision bass