Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A nice problem to have....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Barfly, Apr 27, 2002.

1. Barfly

Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    So, my wife basically gives me the go ahead on GAS, letting me finance my purchase through gig money payback.

The problem is, I don't know what the hell I want!!!

I hit the local L&Mc today and tried out a used MIA Corona Cal. Deluxe. Asking price $1000 CDN w/hs case ($630 USD). Played like a dream but I already have a MIMJ w/active EMG's and a MIA P, both of which are great guitars.

I picked up a SABDDI about a month ago and it has really given me the sound I want so upgrading my head is kind of pointless right now. The head (Yorkville 400 BM) and cab (Ampeg 410 SLN) are only 1.25 years old, to me. The head was used but the cab was brand new. After some tweeking, this thing rumbles like a bum's stomach.

After visiting the Fender web page earlier today, I think I'm going to keep my eyes open for a Sting. Problem is, you don't see too many of them up in these parts (suburban Toronto).

Any P and J owners that also own a Sting? What, in your opinion, is the contrast between the three sound wise and playability wise?

As for my amp settings, I have the SABDDI pretty well set to the SVT tone, just a bit thicker.

Thanks,
    Steve

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    OK, you have a P and a J. Do you have room for a Ric, or maybe a fretless?

Just trying to help you spend money... :D

3. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Well, you could always go the charity route.. give the cash to us young bassists suffering from GAS but without any money to get us even one fix :D

Anyways, I think the thing is to come up with something that your musicianship would benefit from.

Perhaps an extended range bass? Fretless? Something totally different, like a hollowbody? Some nice effects?