1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A nice suprise

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by sharkbait130, Mar 25, 2013.

1. This could get a little long so if it's 3 am and you're just getting in from a gig , go get some sleep or you might end up crosseyed and drooling on your keyboard. The kid got into an art oriented high school playing tuba. I had been playing bass for a while and occasionally he picked it up , even showed some promise on it. After about 6 months , the schools bass guitar player moved leaving the school with no bottom end for their jazz and rock bands. The teacher asked if anyone wanted to give it a shot .. Up goes the kids hand and he started learning in ernest on the schools warwick 5 string.(They get 3 hours of music instruction a day at this school , so progress was pretty fast) One day the kid says "Dad , I think I'd like to get a 5 string." Here goes the bank account lol.Took the kid to the local music store to try out a few basses. I told him to play all he wanted but not to commit to anything. "Don't let them know if you really like one. Just play them and let me know after you leave." I really didn't want a salesman breathing down my neck at this point. He tried every one in the store including an american 5 stg. jazz. (there goes the bank account and a loan). After he was done , he was really cool about all of it and told the salesman that he just didn't think a 5 string was right for him. We escaped the store with the bank account still intact. We got in the car and he lit up." I really liked that black one." (an Ibanez) "O K I'll see what we can do." He had put a band together by this time and had a practice in a couple days. So far he had been using one of my 4 stgs. for the band. Two days later I went back to the music store and plunked down 300 plus bucks for the black 5 stg.(this was the day of his practice with the band). I got home and pulled the 4 stg. out of it's case and stuck the new 5 stg. in there. Didn't say a word to the kid. He got home from school , diddled around a bit till I told him he was going to be late for practice (teenage punctuality being what it is) He grabbed the case and out the door he went. About 30 minutes later the phone rang.I picked it up and heard "DAD..........YOU ROCK. "hehehe.I guess us old farts can be kinda cool every once in a while.

2. Exploiter8

Exploiter8 Demons run when a good man goes to war

Jan 18, 2010
    Midwest
    Commercial FREE!
    Nice!

3. Blind Rat

Blind Rat

Apr 23, 2009
    Here
    Very Nice !

4. ZachariahLee

ZachariahLee

Feb 3, 2013
    Texas
    Son, you rock for only picking a $300.00 guitar, LOL. Awesome feeling I'm sure that he actually took the time to make that call. I can't wait for my son to ask......(12-15 years from now)

5. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    "Cool Dad" character trait level up!

6. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

Way cool dad!!!!!!

7. Dave in LB

Dave in LB

Feb 11, 2011
    So Cal
    Awesome Dad-ness there. I did something similar for my son for Christmas. But it was for a non music related product. It is sure great fun to surprise the kids though. Great story.

8. pkstone

pkstone

Apr 13, 2011
    Sacramento
    Nice job supporting the local music store, too. A lesser man might have done all the research at the store and then ordered online.

9. SWRnut

SWRnut Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2008
    Columbia, SC
    Great story !
    I know you are proud of him as well.

10. 4dog

4dog

Aug 18, 2012
    Tell me your from the south and "we got into the car and he lit up",meant he got very excited, please tell me this. Lol , buying him that bass now that is dadness at its finest. Awesome.

11. RS66LB

RS66LB

Dec 29, 2012
    Connecticut
    lol! awesome story -the kid was of course correct -you do rock. Have a great day.

12. JLY

JLY Supporting Member Supporting Member

Great story...he is blessed to have you as a father. This is something both of you will remember for the rest of your lives! Great job!

13. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    A year from now... "Dad, I need a custom 11-string, can you get in touch with Jens Ritter?"

Just exactly how much DO you rock?

But seriously, nice going.

14. Fat_Joe

Fat_Joe

Apr 2, 2013
    Knoxville, TN
    I've got my own Dad story to toss in. Nothing so cool, but I know it is coming. Ever since I picked up a guitar and started learning, and even after I switched to Bass, I can't practice without my 2 yo son demanding I let him play. I can count on at least once a week when the missus lets me sleep in, on him pounding on the door screaming
    "Gee-tar!"

15. Good story!

When my son Danny was turning 10 he wanted a new guitar. He had been playing a hand-me-down Squier Strat that I'd given him to learn on when he was 8. He was taking private lessons, playing in the school jazz band, and typically practicing at least an hour a day (mostly trying to play like Slash). I knew that he was outgrowing that guitar and he'd want something nicer. So we went to the music store to look at guitars. He immediately fell in love with an Epiphone Les Paul that looks very similar to the Gibson that Slash used back in the Appetite For Destruction days (honey flame top, cream pickguard, nice looking guitar). It was probably like February at this point, and his birthday is in August. He told me he wanted the guitar for his birthday, but was afraid the music store would sell it before that. Now, this guitar was about $500, a nice guitar for a 10 year old. So I made him a deal; I told him he had to save half the money for it, and I would pay the other half once he'd saved enough. So for the next few months, he did every chore that was asked of him, did small chores for neighbors, and saved every penny he could, doing small (age appropriate) jobs like helping with trimming the lawn, doing dishes, etc.. In the meantime, I had already put the guitar on lay-away without his knowledge. By August.....he's saved just about half of what he needed. So I took his money, promptly went to the bank and deposited it in his savings account, and went to the music store to pay off the guitar. I told him that unfortunately the guitar had been sold, but they would order another one for him but it may take a while to come in. I brought home the guitar in a brand new hardshell case.

On his birthday, he asked if the guitar had come in and I told him "No, but your mother and I did get you a case for it, it's in the living room". He looked heartbroken. "Well, at least I got a case, thanks Dad" he said. He was going to walk away, but I told him he should check out the case because the inside was pretty nice and should protect the guitar pretty well. When he opened up the case, the look on his face was something I will remember my whole life. He was speechless, he actually might have cried a little bit.

That Les Paul is his prized possession. He is the lead guitarist in the school band and now, at 12, wants to put his own band together to do rock covers. Totally cool kid, way cooler than the old man ever was.

Sometimes we are fortunate enough to be able to do something for our kids that we wished someone could have done for us.

16. Great story thanks for sharing!

17. Woofer

Woofer

Sep 24, 2008
    OBX
    Achievement Unlocked: Awesome Dad. Good job, sirs.

18. I've got a similar story with my little brother. He has a different dad than me, and neither of us is very close with our mom. Since his dad doesn't make much money, and he lives in the boonies with no real job opportunities for a 15 year old, he doesn't have much. He asked me a few months before Christmas if he could borrow my acoustic bass to learn on. He was getting pretty good considering he was learning everything by ear. So in October, when I bought my fender, we took him to the guitar store too, told him we wanted his opinion since I was looking for something new. We put $1000+ guitars in his hands, just bombarded him with everything they had, but he kept grabbing a cherry epiphone EB3 off the wall. It was the only bass he kept going back to. So me and my older brother split on the bass. When we went to visit him for Christmas, we stuck the bass in one of my gig bags and told him I brought my bass so he could try it on his little amp. After dinner and opening of presents, his dad asked if he could see my bass, so I told my little brother to go grab it. When he opened the case he was confused for a second, and when he clued in he freaked out. It was a pretty good Christmas for him, lol

Attached Files:

19. bignote

bignote

May 27, 2006
    Okinawa, Japan
    Awesome, your son is lucky to have a player for a father. I remember when I was 15 and my dad had this little country band. I came home and Dad says "There is something in the music room with your name on it" I threw open the door and there was a brand new Guild B301A in the stand. My Dad rocked back then and so do you now sir. I can imagine how your son felt when he opened that case in front of his buddies.

20. Hey BayState,

We did the almost exact same thing with our guitarist son when he was in jr. high! We had got him a First Act (ugh!) as a trainer, and he was really getting down on it. He was taking lessons from a REALLY good high school senior, and coveted his Ibanez (can't remember the model now).

Well, come to find out after a while, the senior decided he wanted to sell it. Son was needing a case for the FA, sooo... :p

Yep, we bought a case. AND the Ibby. Christmas came, and there was the case under the tree. We had been talking up the case idea on purpose, so he was only moderately interested - what he really wanted was the GUITAR. He unwrapped the case disinterestedly, but I could tell by the look on his face that he was realizing that it weighed more than what an empty case should. ;) :D After he was done unwrapping, I said "Why don't you open it up?" so he did, and the look on his face was absolutely priceless! :hyper::hyper:

BEST CHRISTMAS EVER!

I love being a dad!
    :bassist::bassist: