1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A nice surprise from Skynard.....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Geddyfleaharris, Oct 16, 2009.

1. I have always been a fan of Lynyrd Skynyrd. Not a massive over the top fan but always liked them. I haven't bought any of their CDs for years though as I kind of lost track of who was in the band and who wasn't.

Well they have a new CD called God and Guns. IMO it is a powerhouse CD from front to back. You never know what you night get when "classic" rock bands release new music but God and Guns is an awesome album. Some great grooves and riffs throughout the CD. The title track is very powerful. It is a CD that you can put on and play start to finish without hitting the "next" button a bunch of times.

Anyways it was a nice surprise that the album was so solid from start to finish. Also cool that Ricky Medlocke is in the band. Did not know that.

Yay Skynyrd! :D

P.S. - this thread is all IMHO

2. Got the new album a few days ago. Very nice tunes...I'm glad to see the band continues to forge ahead, despite all their losses over the years. I could wish for a little less red-neck sensibility in some of the lyrics, but the music is great.

3. Hi.

Back in the band You mean?

He was one of the original songwriters and was also one of the original drummers after Van Zant refused to hire him just as a roadie.

I'm a fan of the early stuff up to the plane crash, have to check out the new release. Thanks for the tip.

Regards
    Sam

4. i believe medlocke came from blackfoot....gary rossington and ed king are the last surviving guys,except for a honkette or two maybe...artimus pyle had some legal problems and billy powell passed not long ago .......sadly,it was never the same without rvz

5. Hi.

Yep, he came from Blackfoot.
    But as they were idling badly, Rickey approached his friend Van Zant and offered to be a roadie, stage hand, bus driver, anything to be in a touring band and kill the boredom. Van Zant wouldn't take him in as anything less than a musician so he played drums on the Skynyrd's First And... Last.

Take a look at Preacher's Daughter, Wino and especially White Dove and The Seasons on that album.

Regards
    Sam

6. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    How many of you know that Ed King was not an original member joining Lynyrd Skynyrd in 1972 and left the band in 1975 and was not in the plane crash? Ed King played with The Strawberry Alarm Clock and had the hit song "Incense & Peppermints" in 1967.

Here is more information about Ed King on this website.

http://www.edking.net/bio.htm

7. not only that,but he's from california.....skynyrds other drummer was a guy named burns

8. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    I always found it interesting that a band from Jacksonville, Florida, with a guitar player from California did a song called "Sweet Home Alabama", which was written by Ed King, Gary Rossington, and Ronnie Van Zandt and none of the three writers of the song were originally from Alabama. Ronnie Van Zant and Gary Rossington were both born in Jacksonville, Florida and Ed King was from Glendale, California.

At a band practice shortly after bassist Ed King had switched to guitar, King heard fellow guitarist Gary Rossington playing a guitar riff that inspired him (in fact, this riff is still heard in the final version of the song and is played during the verses as a counterpoint to the main D-C+9-G chord progression). In interviews, Ed King has said that, during the night following the practice session, the chords and two main guitar solos came to him in a dream, note for note. King then introduced the song to the band the next day.

9. Well then it wouldn't be Skynyrd then would it? It would be the Jonas Brothers.

10. "Redneck" you call it? They are southern guys... it's cultural and correct from their point of view... plus a whole lot of people relate to those lyrics. They have no problem with their message. That new CD is gonna sell like crazy...'redneck' or not.

11. ronnie van zant was known to write wherever he found inspiration and driving around in alabama was the basis for the lyric.....there is a guitar legends on southern rock with a pretty good bio....ricky medlocke from blackfoot tell of his bands arrest in ny as the florida boys were not up on that states gun laws.....whoa..i think i just saw skynyrd and the jonas brothers in the same post......systems failing......must...play....skynyrd....

12. I agree. I did not want to point out in my original post some of the leanings of the songs (political no no's and all that ) but suffice to say I have no problem with the message they are sending; even though I am located wayyyyyy north of the Southern States. I like the message.

13. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    "Sweet Home Alabama" was written in response to Neil Young and his songs "Southern Man" and "Alabama". ("I hope Neil Young will remember/a 'Southern Man' don't need him around anyhow") The proud southern boys didn't take too kindly to being lectured to by a Canadian.

Ed King was brought in because he was a known guy in the industry and he played bass on the first album after Leon Wilkerson got cold feet and quit for a short time. He returned in time to tour.

As an aside, I am amazed at how often "Lynyrd Skynyrd" is misspelled!

14. Fixed! lol :D

I knew it didn't look right when I was posting the thread. I usually Google to make sure I get correct spellings but I guess I forgot to.:bag:

15. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I just picked this up and really like it - musically it is very good (IMO). The messaging was fine by me (I'm a Nashville boy), however think that in places it seemed as if they were trying a bit too hard from a songwriting standpoint...

16. actually that line was inserted into the song,but the producers wanted it out....rvz refused and it stayed.....and neil young's music was a favorite among many of the band members....neil young was born in america

17. Hi.

Just listened the tunes and to be perfectly honest, a bit too poppy for me. Just like the material they've released lately.

Perhaps the songs will open up with a few more tries ;).

Regards
    Sam

18. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Don't want to derail the thread, but Neil Young was born and raised in Canada. He now lives in the States.

19. that's interesting,and google seems to agree....i had a bio that had said he was born in the us and lived here until the mid sixties....but google also called his winnipeg band the squires the esquires...