1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A nice upgrade from a ****ty 40bucks amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Demon, May 15, 2006.

1. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    What would be a nice upgrade for a beginner from my crappy Ibanez GA1B that i bought for like 40bucks? Prefferably around the 300 dollar range, i need both a head and cab for that cash:/

2. Realistically, you're in combo territory. However, there are some *very* nice combos on Ebay for that kind of coin. There's an SWR Basic Black for $275+shipping that ends tomorrow on there right now.

3. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    +1

unless you find some real cheap gear at a garage sale, you are in combo territory with 300 bucks. Ebay is a great resource. to get the most for your money i would go used.

4. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    SWR Working Man's 12.

Compact, loud for it's size, cheap, practical, and reliable. I played over 300 gigs with the one I used to have. That included small clubs to outdoor festivals. The DI out came in handy. I sold it to another gigging bassist who was quite pleased with the results.

5. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    I'd suggest something used, like an 80s Peavy or something.

6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Is there a reason you need to upgrade? If ther is not, you would be better off saving for something really nice. If you need more volume for a band or gigs or whatever, Peavey makes loud combos in that price range.

7. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Because it sounds like **** and its not even loud enough to have at home barely, imean its probably like 5 or 10 watts:&

8. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
  9. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Well if you don't really need more volume for a louder band practice or something you may be better off saving for a really nice stack.

10. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    But then ill have to play with this amp that i can barely hear in my room for a year:/ and theres noway im doin that. you cant even imagine how crappy it is=/

11. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    I know for sure I'm going to get harassed for this, but I have a Behringer BX4210A, and for the money, you can't go wrong. It's a combo, lowest I saw for new was $329 when I was hunting a few months ago. Music123 has a B stock one for $297.49 w/ free shipping right now.

-450 watts
    -2 aluminum 10" cones
    -1" horn tweeter
    -5 band eq
    -Switchable Ultrabass sub-harmonics processor
    -Dedicated 5-band EQ with Deep, Bright and Shape functions
    -Gain and Limiter (Master Volume) controls
    -VU meter for precise signal level control
    -Dual footswitch for Ultrabass and Shape functions
    -Post EQ D.I.
    -Line out
    -Tuner out/effects loop
    -Fan cooled
    -Passive and active inputs
    -Wheels for better protability (but not the best)

With some eq'ing, you can achieve some nice tone out of it despite it being a Behringer product. It can shake nearly everything in your house, even before you reach the high noon position on the limiter. But it is pretty heavy, feels like it will last. Checked out Musicians Friend and read the reviews, most people sang it's praise, quite a few spoke about blowing speakers, which I can understand since it's 450 watts from 2 - 10's. But I also think a few of them pushed it too hard straight out of the box without breaking it in first. One person who blew a speaker talked about playing it at 80% volume the first day and full on the next and blew it. :rolleyes: The only problem I've had, was one of the stickers coming off the back of a speaker during practice making an annoying sound as it rattled around the bottom of it. I popped the grill off in 2 minutes removed the sticker and back to playing in no time. If you take care of it, and don't crank it at full volume until it's broken in, I see no point in why it shouldn't last a good while. I got the 2 year Guitar Center warranty just to be on the safe side.

Some ratings from online stores:

Musicans Friend: 7.52/10 (63 ratings)
    ZZ Sound: 8.2/10 (13 ratings)

12. acexxxoasis

acexxxoasis

Apr 12, 2005
    you could also scout the music stores youlld be suprised. I got a used stack for $410 it was an all tube head and a 1516 cabinet (1x15 2x8) and then later I found a used mesa boogie 4x10 for $349 so look around and play everything you can afford get a feel for what there is also you might like the sound on the newer bassman (the one with 2x10 eminence it sounds awesome)

13. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Sadly, its alot cheaper in america, i checked thomann and the behringer is 500dollars:/ Here in sweden itd probably be 600dollars, so thats why im pretty limited ..

14. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Nvm, ive raised the budget to 400;) So is that Behringer BX4210A worth it? Anyone? I saw a review, the guy said it blowedup after 4 hours and he got a new cos warranty wich blew after like 2 months:/ So anyone know if Thomann has a warranty on those?

15. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    My guitarist had a Berhinger amp. It lasted a month then crapped out during a small show. Do a search on Berhinger. If you need a good practice amp, those can be had for $150-$200.

16. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Ok ive decided for a Gallien Krueger Backline 115 II^^ about 500 bucks, but ill make it, very positive reviews!

17. Good choice on the Backline, I've played them. Nice, solid combo.