A nice wide spaced medicore 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Beav, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    I've run into some extra money and I've decided to upgrade basses. Right now the only 5 I've got is an Ibanez SR885 which has the tighest string spacing. I'm looking for a new 5 that has nice wiiiidddeee string spacing. I've played a Fender MIM 5 and I love the wide spacing, but I feel like if I buy a Fender I'm buying more of the name instead of the product, so I want to stay away. I'd really like to have a Jazz/MM pickup configuration or a Jazz.

My price range is about 500 dollars. What are your suggestions?
  2. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    you think that 16mm spacing its wide???? i hate it i cant slap fast on the 4th string cos i hit the fifth so i just can do mid speed slap, i sugest a thumb 5 bolt-on broadneck 20mm spacing.

BTW mid speed slapping stands for RHCP songs
  3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    $500 will get you a used Lakland 55-01.
  4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Jeez! I'm not crazy about the idea of shipping a bass (I hate going to UPS) but it seems as though yer askin for my bass! 2 weeks ago I purchased an inexpensive Cort 5 string - my first. It was a deal at $220. Cheapest I found it for online other than that was $280. A week after I found another inexpensive 5er with a much thinner neck and had to buy it. The first bass is now useless to me. This is the bass.....

it's the color of the 4 string though. it's brand new, played 2X, not even a belt ding on the back. the neck is wide, I put d'addarios on it when i got it. the MM pu sounds great, barky and high in the mids - the jazz pu leaves lots to be desired. if the jazz were replaced i think it would be a truly slamming bass.

i'd be willing to sell it for $150 plus shipping and go down to my local music store to have them properly pack it up for me (they're friends and I'm sure would help). If interested let me know at nervemail@aol.com. if not i'm gonna post it on craigs list.
  5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Yamaha BG-5 is a nice cheap fiver with regular spacing, don't know if they're still in production, though.
  6. K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    MTD Kingston is a good choice. The Fender 5 is not usually considered a wide 5.

You might check the classifieds section here on Talkbass.
    You can occasionally find a good deal there ;)

The yamaha mentioned is also a good choice.

7. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    I'd say a Yamaha BB (any 5 model).

A used Fender Roscoe Beck 5 may just be the ticket also IMO. In this case forget the name Fender and think about the product. The other Fender 5's suck IMO, but the RB5 is great. Everyone could give great comments about how awesome that bass is. It has a good B and the best passive sound for ANY five string.

Cort is a decent suggestion, but Yamaha, a used fender RB5, or a Lakland Skyline sounds more like what you want.
  8. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    You might be wary of Ibanez after your 885, but the BTB 405 is a hell of a bass for the money, and has a pretty wide neck in both bridge (full 19 mm spacing) and nut (47 mm total width).
  9. tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    Kingston is wide and mine is white with R/W board, HSC for sale with an Aguilar OBP-1 in vgc
  10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Another vote for the Fender RB5. I also own nice basses that cost 2-3 times as much, but I play the RB5 as much as any of 'em.
  11. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    just sold a MIM 5 for $225 Couldn't get a nibble in these parts. If you like the feel of the MIM 5, and that is wide to you, they are plenty available at half your budget. Take the other half an drop in a pair of sweet pups and you've got few extra bucks lying around. I thought the MIM 5 was a pretty decent bass for the dough. It isn't a Lakland or Spector or _____ but it is no Essex either. Having it around convinced me to buy a higher end 5 and I lost about 25 bucks after owning it for a couple of years. Hard to feel bad about that. Biggest knock is the 'floppy' B string. I haven't played any string through the bridge 5 that had a better B. I have been working on a lighter touch this last year, partly because of the 5, partly to ward of carpal-tunnel... So the B was't a real problem for me.
  12. Maurice Carr

Maurice Carr

Aug 7, 2004
    Mt Wellington, Auckland, NZ
    Authorised BFM and fEARful cab builder: New Zealand
    Agree an Ibanez BTB405 is worthy of consideration. Nice comforatble neck with wide ( but not to wide ) spacing and good ergonomic feel. I've still got one although it's not my main bass now but it served me well for 3 years and I played it on a couple of CD's with a better than average result ( tonewise ).
    The later BTB405s have Barts ( I think ) which would even be an improvement on my one so that makes for a very hot sound indeed - you'd be hard pressed to find anything for that price that would match and NO I don't have shares in Ibanez.
    P.S I sanded the back of the neck to get rid of the crappy varnish job on the back - used 300 grit to a bare polished finish and that made the neck even better. Send me a pm if you want to know more about how this bass performs etc.
  13. Maurice Carr

Maurice Carr

Aug 7, 2004
    Mt Wellington, Auckland, NZ
    Authorised BFM and fEARful cab builder: New Zealand
    Just spotted a used BTB405 for sale on TB forum - look up EdenSmith and title of thread was "another Ibanez BTB 405QM"
  14. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    Sweet, the Kingston and Heir have wide spacing?!?! I'm sold. I love the look and the new active preamp. I'll also check into the Yahama. I've played the BTB405 and I have the locking input enough for me not to want it. If anyone has more suggestions I'm all ears. Joe, That is a possiblity, but I would have to install an active preamp and I don't know if I want to do that after putting one in my OLP, but if something else falls through I'll hit you up man.