Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A Nickelback question...which bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Aug 30, 2004.

1. I do not want this to be a Nickelback bashing thread, all I am asking is what has Mike Kroeger done on Never Again to get that really growly sound? I have been told it's overdrive, but I have tried overdrive with my spector 5 string and it's too trebbly. I think he used warwicks on Silver Side up, so which warwick will it be? He used Thumbs and Streamers(streamers seem to have been his fave). Can anyone help? :cool: :hyper:

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Moved to Bassists.

3. hammer2748

hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    I read an article a while back in Bass Player that featured Mike Kroeger. I believe his growly tones were at least in part due to the integration of a guitar amplifier(s) along with bass amplifiers (Peavey's I think). Now that I mention it, there's the same article online at: http://www.musicplayer.com/lounge/setups/mike.htm.

Hope this helps even though it seems to be more applicable to live audio rather than recorded. That may (or may not) be the subject of further research. Take care.

Cheers,
    Hammer

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

:confused: amps or effects / effects or amps (I was gonna move it to Basses)

:bassist: lets try Misc

5. hammer2748

hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    By the way, also note in that same story that in 2003 he used Spector basses exlusively!

6. But he didnt use peavey at the time he reocrded Never Again. He used Mesa Boogie.