Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A non-gig story...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by silentstranger, Nov 21, 2002.

1. My band was supposed to play an "acoustic" set (although since I don't have an acoustic, I guess the only change would have just been the guitar and possibly concentrating on mellower tunes) today at the Chrysler building in Oakland county. We met at the production company at 9:30 to discuss some other business matters, with the intention of getting to the gig at noon. Walking into the meeting, the band tells me that the gig is cancelled, and has been for a couple of days. So why didn't we know this? Because the Chrysler people were planning to tell us when we got there!! :eek: :mad: Luckily, somebody at the production company got a hold of them before we left for the show so we didn't make the wasted drive (about a half hour from the office, so I was told, probably an hour-plus from my house). A cancelled gig I can understand, but not planning to tell us until we got there when they knew two days ago? What the f***???! Unfortunately, our lead singer got the gig himself instead of relaying booking through the production company, so AFAIK there's no contract and no way to get anything from Chrysler for this crap. This is especially frustrating because we were supposed to get $5-600, which would've been just under $100 each (we're a seven-piece), which is way above average for me.

Result: Band members are now not allowed to get gigs without going through the production company, which is a definite plus. They've pulled some strings and obtained some nice agreements via legal threats in the past, it's just a shame they didn't get the chance with this one. The take-home message is, of course, to get a contract for everything. End of rant.

2. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I know how you feel man. I had a similar thing happen to me a few weeks ago at a place i used to frequent.. we had advertised and We always get a huge crowd there.. every time it has been record numbers.. well they canceled less than a week before we were supposed to play.. they didn't understand why we got mad.... :(